We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

Berkeley Heights...
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

I've been catching up with the forums since we decided to return to Anguilla this June. Will will again be on Mead's Bay at Frangipani, our favorite place. Ive read about some new restaurants, and the addition of a new dock near the Airport to speed travel time. Has anything else changed on the island in the past 3 years? Other new bars, restaurants. More or less crowded? I would think with the economy the way its been the pasdt 2 years it may be less crowded, especially in low season, when we plan on visiting.

Has Viceroy negatively affected Mead's Bay? It was just finished when we were last there, and although we really enjoyed the sunset Lounge, we could do without the huge monstrosity on our favorite beach.

Hopefully everything is as its been in the past, relaxing, friendly, and non touristy. We will be travelling with another couple for the first time here and we want them to love the island as much as we do. Can't wait to return!! I can taste the Crayfish already!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

Several new restaurants:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g147238-Anguilla…

Mallihouana is closed, as is Ku.

New place west of Frangi, Ocean Echo - food and entertainment.

If you like crayfish, you must try On Da Rocks out in Island Harbor, $5.00 each every Sat and Sunday night and 5.00 sides, really great.

Anguilla is as lovely as ever.

Ellen

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

I would avoid the Blue Diamond Bar and Grill....terrible service.

Berkeley Heights...
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

I heard about On Da Rocks. That may satisfy my Crayfish craving without getting gouged on Scilly Cay, although we did enjoy ourselves there. Straw Hat does Crayfish well also, a little bit cheaper than Scilly, but definitely not $5.

Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

The crayfish were really good, full size, he boils them first and then grills them. Also, their french fries are fabulous, crispy outside and soft inside, homemade and hot! My mouth is watering just thinking about that meal!

British Dependency plays on Sunday nights, we had a great time.

Ellen

Boston
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

Hi AXA Forum Friends!

Thanks for this On Da Rocks info EIIen! We haven't been there yet, but are planning to. Do we need reservations? I read that you can just "roll" from Gwen's on Sunday there, and that's our plan. It's casual, right? We're West Enders usually and don't want to have to go "home" to drive back out. Also, one member of our party is a vegetarian. Are there other options besides crayfish for her?

Thanks again all!

Uni

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,298 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

Hi Uni:

I don't think they take reservations, but do get their early as they fill up fast. We were lucky to get seats outside on the first floor where we could see the band. Very casual, and relaxed, great friendly staff, no 'tude!

I know they had salads, and coleslaw, and those french fries which are out of this world. Don't know what else they have, but the french fries are huge, too big for two people to eat.

We went to Davida, then we went "home" to Meads Bay, then we went back out to On Da Rocks, THEN we went to Ocean Echo to see Boss! We had a blast!

Have a great trip.

Ellen

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

We were there this weekend and got there about 6:30. No tables downstairs but plenty of seating upstairs. Ellen was spot-on with her report - the crayfish are well prepared and generally very decently sized. I found two to be enough. The french fries are outstanding - fresh, hot, crisp and extremely well seasoned. And British Dependency is outstanding. Very worthwhile.

8. Re: 2013 will be first time back since 2010. Any changes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 10, 2014