We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Funtime Vs. GB Express

Baltimore, Maryland
14 posts
Save Topic
Funtime Vs. GB Express

We are going to Anguilla on Dec 6. We arrive at SXM at 12:55pm and will take a shared sea shuttle to Blowing Point. Funtime is $65/person/way and GB Express is $105/person roundtrip. We have taken Funtime once before and it was all good. Regarding GB Express, do you pay separately for them to shuttle you to the dock? Is Simpson Bay police station dock the one by the airport that Funtime uses or is it farther away? I'm just wondering why GB is cheaper and if there is any real difference. With our flight arriving around 1pm, will we be too late for the 1:30pm Funtime shuttle? If so, we would probably take GB if all things are equal since they have a 2pm boat (Funtime's next boat is 3pm). And finally, how long does the whole process take to get from SXM to Blowing Point? I think I've read 2 hours on these forums... Thank you!!!

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

I've only had experience with GB Express...always professional answering emails and great service.

We'll be doing the 2pm shuttle from SXM this Friday as my flight from New York arrives at 1pm.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

No experience with Funtime, so can only answer for GB Express. The "new" dock is close to the airport and (it seems) that boats (shuttles) leaving there do not have to stop at the Police Station (which was the whole point of the exercise).

GB Express has always docked at the Police Station, and takes you between SXM and Police Station by shuttle, included in the price. It is only a few minutes drive, really, although the new dock is clearly even closer.

The Police Station was mainly a pain in the proverbial for those boats that docked at the "old" dock near the airport, as they had to first go to the Police Station, stop there for passport processing, and then continue.

For GB and others that docked at the Police Station, the process was much smoother, and loading luggage and passengers was often done at the same time as passport processing (you can't do that if it is only a stop along the way).

Last I read, GB has not moved to the new dock (yet). That would only be really beneficial for them if the actual processing was faster there (and at the Police Station it may well speed up once there are fewer boats to process).

As to whether your arrival time works with a certain shuttle departure, I would always recommend to contact the shuttle operator. They have the experience and most (including GB Express) are quick to come back with a recommendation. But my guess is that the 1:30 Funtime is cutting it too close, while the 2:00 GB should be feasible.

As to the price difference, I have no idea. It could be competition (a free market after all), maybe Funtime has fancier boats that may go a bit faster, or maybe they serve alcohol on board.

As to speed, I have experienced Funtime overtaking GB. But that was in rough seas and from looking at that boat pitching I would not want to be on board - and I am a sailor. Plus, in the end the difference in arrival time was minute, and certainly not worth the discomfort. On smooth seas Funtime may be a bit faster and still be comfortable, or maybe on smooth days GB is just as fast as Funtime. Maybe one of the Funtime addicts can pitch in here.

One of the things GB is known for, is making comfort of the passengers top priority (after safety, obviously).

Edited: 2:48 am, November 14, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,688 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

AXA Regular said it all, we have used GB many times and used Funtime in April, and while the experience was fine, it was not the personal, caring service we receive from GB.(We ended up on Funtime because I did not make my GB res soon enough and they were full!).

For us, it is GB, but others swear by Funtime.

Happy planning.

Ellen

Baltimore, Maryland
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

Thank you Ellen & AXA Regular! very helpful.

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

Thanks for all the information...hopefully GB Express will be operating at the new dock by Friday!

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
292 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

So, how was your experience? We're using GB Express again in 2013. They are friendly, meet you at the airport, and shuttle you to the dock. I highly recommend them.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
165 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

We used GB for the first time last year, from the police docks and while they were great with service onboard, the boats were delayed that day and we ended up waiting a long time for the ferry to finally show up, load and take off.

On the way back to St. Martin we took the public ferry and decided we'll never do a shuttle again. The cost differential just isn't worth it for us, and the minimal expense of the taxi to/from the airport wasn't a game changer. It just feels like a lot more flexibility and there are frequent enough ferries that you don't have to wait all that long to get to paradise :~).

South Jersey
Level Contributor
137 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

We will have a group of 7-8 in March and still undecided about how to get from SXM airport to AXA. Hate the van shuttle to passport place and then wait for everyone to fill out forms, then get on boat. I think it was GB. Who goes out of the new dock right at the airport? Who does private charters for a group this size? Thanks, Linda & Larry in NJ

9. Re: Funtime Vs. GB Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla