We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

Jinja, Uganda
2 posts
Save Topic
Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

Hi, I know some of you guys already seen this topic before, but I was hoping hear some updated opinions.

I've heard that CJ has ALOT of tired rooms and facilities and wanted to hear some opinions on rooms at two facilities. I like the fact that Frangipani is small and private but room seems a bit out-dated. Looking at some of the pictures from CJ, rooms look fairly nice and price seems comparable (low-season 5 nights).

Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
283 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

OK, here is my opinion. I KNOW there are people much more qualified than me, especially since I've never stayed at either. I'm a Cuisinart girl. I have toured Cap and have toured Frangi-and eaten there at Straw Hat. I prefer Frangi. It's intimate and friendly. Yes, a bit out-dated but clean and comfy.

As far as I know updates have been made at Cap. I hear more about the Management and reservation problems-IMO could lead to a lesser experience in your stay. Again, just my opinion. I love Anguilla and try to stay informed. I know you would be happy at either, but I hear far more complaints about Cap than Frangi.

Mentioned in this post
CuisinArt Golf Resort & Spa
CuisinArt Golf Resort...
871 Reviews
Anguilla
Straw Hat Restaurant
Straw Hat Restaurant
1,315 Reviews
Anguilla
Anguilla
Anguilla
Caribbean
Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

I've stayed at Frangipani twice, and nothing I've seen is outdated. If you enjoy a quiet, intimate atmosphere you will love Frangipani.

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

My updated, all things considered opinion is still, stay at Frangipani.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

I think Frangi is one of the nicest properties on the island, it is small, easy to get around, on one of the best stretches of Meads Bay, has a terrific on site restaurant - Straw Hat, and wonderful attentive management. It’s a favorite of mine.

Cap Juluca is on the best beach and it is much more spread out, not an easy walk from your room to the restaurants or bars. Cap Juluca has always been my favorite hotel, but at this time, due to the uncertainty surrounding Cap, I would go with Frangi.

BTW, if I lived in Uganda, I would be going to Tanzania – I have heard they have the best beaches in the world.

Happy planning!

Ellen

Mentioned in this post
Meads Bay
Meads Bay
331 Reviews
Anguilla
Straw Hat Restaurant
Straw Hat Restaurant
1,315 Reviews
Anguilla
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

I have a difficult time giving enough credence to Cap Juluca's recent press releases to give them our business right now. Especially considering that they were advertising major renovations in the in-room information letter during our two previous visits there while our experience (and my pictures at the time) still reflected a "tired" interior, that at minimum needed some basic maintenance. They had made some improvements, but their copy writing and reality did not match. I don't mind tired in and of itself, but I do mind false advertising and things in need of basic repairs being overlooked. For these reasons (and a few others), we have chosen to forgo their gorgeous stretch of beach on our next trip, and have booked at Frangipani instead. Looking forward to trying out something new to us, but I will continue to miss waking up on Maundays Bay.

Edited: 11:19 pm, October 26, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
405 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

I've stayed at CAP 3x and we loved it. Stayed at Frangi 1x this past summer and we may never go to CAP again. Pricing was better AND we got a kitchen and washer/dryer (rarely used kitchen though except for drinks and leftovers!). Much more space in room. I didn't think Frangi was outdated! (But not new like Viceroy!). Staff couldn't be nicer (we didn't feel the same about the staff at CAP but might be when we go). I loved having a great restaurant on site that was a decent price. We liked being able to walk to some restaurants, too. It was great having the pool right off the beach (didn't spend much time in it but it was nice to jump into cool off). The big thing we liked was that we got sunsets at Frangi which made for longer days on beach. Cap got shady early and we also would leave there to see sunsets so liked the longer beach days!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
277 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

All these positive comments about Frangipani are making me even more sure that my wife and I made the right choice about where to stay this upcoming May! All the photos I have seen of this place are gorgeous!

Ohio
Level Contributor
533 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

We had a wonderful stay at Frangipani this past June. Nothing was dated. Our 1 bedroom suite was beautiful. Hoping to make it back again this summer.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

CJ just spent $28M redoing their rooms. The place is a knock-out!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Latest opinions on Cap Juluca VS Frangipani

Oxkaufman, care to share a source for such numbers? Surely you are not implying that in 2012 with current ownership litigation surrounding the property that someone poured 28 MILLION dollars into a room renovation?

I'd imagine the travel boards and papers would have covered such a story if such extensive work was happening during their brief closure.

Maybe you are referring to some of the soft improvements and main lobby that happened several years ago.

Edited: 1:27 pm, October 31, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Anguilla