We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
245 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

My wife and I are expecting to visit Anguilla next May. We are in the initial planning phase of our trip... but I have been lurking on the forum for several months gathering information. I have a few questions to pass by the experts...

1) We are going to be flying from the west coast (SFO) and I have found a 1-stop flight to SXM on United through Newark... arriving just before noon. The price is $706... which seems reasonable. Am I correct in thinking this way?

2) On arrival in SXM... we were considering either taking GB Express or taking a commercial flight on Anguilla Air Service. The flight is more expensive... but seems worth it after so much travel from the west coast. Would a flight be the best way to go?

3) For accommodations... I've narrowed it down to 3 choices. The first is Frangipani (1 bedroom suite - either 1A or 5A). The second is Meads Bay Beach Villas (Villa 1 - if they offer their stay 7 pay for 5 for this villa). The third is Cuisinart (Junior Suite). I know Cuisinart is a bigger resort... while the other two are much more intimate. For my wife and I... this vacation is going to be about relaxing. Which one is on the best beach and close to good restaurants? It really is tough to decided amongst these 3... they all look very beautiful!

4) For excursions... I am guessing there are companies that offer snorkeling tours? This is what my wife and I will be most interested.

Thanks for everyone's help! I am sure that I will have a few more questions as time goes by... but I think if I can get flights and accommodations squared away... we'll be well on our way!

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
245 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

I just heard back from Frangipani and they told me that the one bedroom penthouse suite is available. What are people's opinions about this suite in terms of view? It is a bit more expensive... But my wife and I could swing the cost.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Holland...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

Sorry to intrude in your topic, but for some reason I can't open a new one.

my husband and I are going to Anguilla for a week at vaceroy from USA.

He will be working for several hours each day, and he needs his phone on at all times. It can get very expensive if he will be calling directly from his cell phone and he is wondering if he can buy local sim card to use with his phone. Any advice?

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
400 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

Olga -

Look at http://tinyurl.com/9tod4jj for cell phone information. It is USA-centric, but maybe you can find the information you need.

HTH - Bea

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

The one bedroom penthouse suite at Frangipani is fabulous. I had friends stay there last winter and they loved it! It is on the 3rd floor so the view is amazing.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

Olga,

I think the link that Bea referred you to is still pretty good. If your husband expects to make many calls, he could consider getting a local SIM card from either Lime or Digicell. You may have to check availability if he has a fancy new phone: I am not sure if they have the nano-sim that the iPhone 5 uses.

Remember to redirect his phone calls to his AXA number. That will probably cost a few bucks plus the cost of rerouting the incoming calls from home turf to paradise. On the other hand, incoming calls will be free and outgoing to the US will be cheap, so you should save a fair bundle compared to roaming.

Minnetrista...
Level Contributor
272 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

First off I am impressed with all your research. You are going to love love love Anguilla. I do also agree that Frangi is very nice and I"m sure you would enjoy your stay there.

I do suggest staying at Cuisinart. Please choose a third floor room. We lkike Villas 9 and 10. Great views! The resort to me really feels like the size of Frangi. The grounds are very intimate and not at all sprawling.

I agree the food isnt' the best at the resort, but like said, who wants to eat at the hotel? The Continental breakfast is nice and can be served in your room whevenver you want. We usually do that and then go out to a really nice dinner. Wherever you go stay you will want a car or a cab to experience the fine restaurants Anguilla has to offer. They are all over.

Keep us posted where you decide please. We love to hear.

Stamford...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

You may want to consider Cap Juluca, best beach on the island. Also you will want to rent a car.

Folsom, California
Level Contributor
245 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

We have booked the 1 bedroom penthouse suite at Frangipani for 7 nights next May! Definitely looking forward to the relaxation and beauty.

Our plans were to rent a car as well. Looks like Bryans Car Rental is highly thought of on the forum... and we'll most likely go with them.

On to finding which restaurants to enjoy. We like mainly casual places... not too fancy. Sounds like there are plenty to choose from on Anguilla!

Again... thanks to everyone!

Holland...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

That you soo much, I will let my husband know, although I want him to stay out of work on vacation for a change..:)

Holland...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The Planning Begins for Our First Trip to Anguilla...

That you soo much, You info is very helpful!! We will consider two options and choose the best for him!

Get answers to your questions about Anguilla