We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Taxi Coming

Sea Bright, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
New Taxi Coming

Saw on facebook yesterday that a new service will start soon.Tuk Tuk cabs,like what Elvis has,but more modern.50 new cabs with 70 new jobs to the island.Anywhere on island for $1 to $5 bucks..This will be great for locals as well as tourists.I cant imagine the reg taxi guys are too happy with this.

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Taxi Coming

That sounds ambitious. I can only hope they make a profit with prices that low, and gas prices so high.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
491 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Taxi Coming

An article on the internet recently talked about Tuk-Tuk taxis being used in several countries and are most popular in Southeast Asia. A rather industrious entrepreneur recently introduced about 20 of them in Paris. The rides there will be free and the driver will offer drinks for cash while you ride. Advertising is posted on the sides of the vehicle to help raise some cash. They say the only thing to be careful of is rain but the Tuk-Tuk people are working on the addition of ceilings and sides to the passenger compartments. They're not sure how well this concept will go over but they're willing to give it a try.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Taxi Coming

I thought they looked fun to drive.

Can you drive them at night? The headlight looked very small.

Guess I would still get a car, but I bet these would be fun for a short trip!

Ellen

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Taxi Coming

Ellen, it looks like these have a driver, not for rental but to hire like a taxi.

Great idea for short distances --I have heard many guests at Viceroy complain about the taxi fares to near by restaurants.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,244 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Taxi Coming

Penny, what I read, most current visitors to Viceroy walk to Blanchard Shack 5 days out of 7.....for their meals...so tuk tuk may be a bad news for dear Blanchards

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Taxi Coming

I would like to see some employment created by filling some of the pot holes in the roads before these Tuk Tuk arrive. How many can they seat? It has to be more than $5 per journey.

My travel insurance excludes dangerous activities - wonder if this would count?!!?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,244 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Taxi Coming

ah, yes, a very good point. but I think pot holes are filled in all the time, but the new ones keep reappearing at regular intervals. To do a good job probably needs a lot of money which the current (and former) government has a major lack of...:)

I see this endearing enterprise more serving locals, than tourists, but who knows.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,790 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Taxi Coming

That is what the entrepreneur put on Facebook, he had a very nice ad. Wikipedia has lots of info about them.

They do not look too protected from dogs!

Ellen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Taxi Coming

Last year we rented a Wrangler Jeep and driving through sandy ground a rooster jumped in with us!! I won't be renting anything that enables wildlife to join me on my journey! However, I do hope the project is a success for any locals investing in it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Taxi Coming

Great little things...all over in Cuba

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean