We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question from an Anguilla veteran

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Question from an Anguilla veteran

We've been going to Anguilla since 1999 - not each and every year, but most since 2005 - and have done a variety of versions of our vacation (although they all may seem very similar to some readers) - we've gone as a couple with no kids to Cap Juluca, but since then have always rented villas with the kids and we've had some that we absolutely love and a one or two not so much, but mostly raves. But, last year we went with another family at Christmas time and decided it was so much fun we are going back again this year (we usualy have gone for Spring Break, March/April). We are renting a villa in Lochrum and love going to different beaches, varying our lunch choices, going out for dinner, but also dining in.

My question is, we have done almost all there is to do on the island, but if there is one thing that most people don't know about that we should do, would love to hear about it. We love the regularity of our visits, but it's always nice to add a new spice to the trip.

Some of the things we've done: Prickley Pear, Pinnel Island (St. Martin) for a day, Silly Cay, Smokey's, Palm Grove, Da Vida's, Little Bay, Meads Bay, drinks at Viceroy, most every restaurant, stupid dolphins (we had no idea.......rainy day, btw, kids hated it), Dune Preserve, everything (we think) on Shoal Bay East, Trattoria Tromonto for the day and lunch, snorkeling with Junior, etc.

Our kids are going to be 13, 14, and two 16-year olds.

Suggestions? Thanks everyone in advance!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Visit Colville Petty's Heritage Museum and the East End pond with a bird book trying to identify the many species. Then drive around the Heritage Trail and try to find all the historical markers

http://net.ai/article/articleview/8296/1/205/

Spend an afternoon with Garvey at the Sunshine Shack on RB.

Have a blast.

Ellen

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
726 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

The children, might be able to take a pottery lesson at the Devonish Art Gallery...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,646 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Horse riding? There are excellent stables next to Paradise Cove. Or could try golf?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Is that mini golf place still open?

Attleboro, MA
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Have you gone out with Junior snorkeling? Had an absolutely wonderful time with him snorkeling in spots we would never have seen.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Maybe you can arrange sailing lessons at Anguilla sailing school in Sandy Ground.

Glen Mills...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

There is SUP or "stand up paddle boards on Mead's Bay that you may be able to rent. Seems like the kids might like it. I'm not 100% sure but I believe they are coming out of Viceroy. You might want to call to see if they are available to non guests.

Also kayaking from DaVida on Crocus Bay where Omari Banks frequently plays on their new stage behind the deck.

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Thanks for all of the replies. I should have clarified when I asked for unique things to do by describing our kids a litte. They are not really into sightseeing - they like action more than education (on vacation, that is, unfortunately). So that disqualifies the pond and museum. The girls go to summer camp for 7 weeks and so they get their fill of arts and crafts, and they sail at camp, as well. Both girls used to ride and have lost interest in it over the last year or so. The guys may want to play golf at Temenos (or whatever it is called now - Cap Juluca golf???). We've gone snorkeling with Junior and it definitely was a blast. Last Christmas the water was too choppy for good snorkeling, so hopefully, it will be less so this year.

But, please keep them coming, with the aforementioned caveats! I'm sure there will be more than a few things we haven't covered.

Does anyone know about possibly renting a speedboat for the day (possibly with a driver, since neither hubbies have driven boats before)?

North Salem, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

Daffy, Thanks for the recommendations! The kids did stand up paddle boarding in T&C this spring and loved it and it occupied them for a while! And the kayaking idea is also a good one. I had forgotten that there were kayaks at Crocus Bay. Thanks!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
10,416 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question from an Anguilla veteran

How about Pelican Trail:

http://ivisitanguilla.com/unique-activities/

Or a Boat trip to Little Bay with Calvin:

islandobsessions.com/2010/…

I have not heard of motor boat rentals, probably due to the many reefs around the island. You would need to be a skilled sailor to maneuver the reefs. Gotcha is always highly recommended for charters,

anguilla-beaches.com/caribbean-charter.html

Ellen