We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Crime?

We have been going to Anguilla for two decades but haven't been back in a couple of years. For the first time I am hearing stories of a crime problem. I pray these are exaggerated as I have always felt very safe on this beautiful island. In particular, we like to travel out to the gorgeous Captain's Bay at least once during a trip, but it is very isolated. Is it still safe to go there? Also, I've been reading about difficulties at one of our other favorite places, Shoal Bay East. We usually park near the main entrance to the beach, near Uncle Ernie's. Is there a better place to park where we wouldn't get hassled? I didn't think I would ever be asking such questions about Anguilla.

sarasota
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Crime?

i suppose you know that many years ago...we started going to anguilla in 1986...two american women were murdered at captain's bay. the perp was caught. but it was and i think might still be so isolated that you have to be very aware.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Crime?

But that was a schizophrenic off his meds -- could have happened anywhere. I agree that this bank thing is a "new" kind of crime for Anguilla.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Crime?

Just back from a week in Anguilla. We drove by the bank right after the robbery occurred. Talked to a teller the next day. He said it was the first robbery in about 20 years. We went to many "hidden"/secluded beaches and were never concerned about being out there all alone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Crime?

I go to Anguilla with the same attitude about crime as I do in the city I live in or any other place I visit. Be vigilant about your valuables, lock your car and your hotel room, use the safe provided, don't leave stuff on the beach etc etc etc. I live in a quiet suburb of London but a few weeks ago our local jewellery store was robbed - am I not going into town anymore? Of course I will, as always I'll keep my purse out of sight when walking up the high street and carry on as normal. It's easy in somewhere as friendly and relaxed as Anguilla to let your guard down (someone posted fairly recently about having an unattended i-phone stolen from On Da Rocks) but there will always be opportunistic criminals. Yes, a bank robbery is a cause for concern but it's not a tourist related crime and should serve as a reminder to all visitors to just be as cautious as they would at home.

Level Contributor
102 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Crime?

Coincidentally the person responsible for the crime in the 1980s recently died:

anguillanews.com/enews/…4425.html

Edited: 11:21 pm, October 23, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Crime?

they all wanna be gangstas. lots of thieven goin on too. the punks be shootin each other up but they be takin anyone's stuff as they see fit. just watch your a** when you are there and keep you valuables out of sight. they be crackin into your stuff to get your loot. Plenty of burglaries and break ins and ransackin. If you got tools on a jobsite they be going the way of the thief too.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
784 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Crime?

Foodsammy, interesting point of view, on par I would say with your input about the Viceroy opening a few years back.

When was the last time you were there, or should I say, were you ever there? Your input would be better placed in the Jamaica forum or so.

Now what fits better with the real sammy? the fake getto talk you write or the profile picture?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Crime?

I guess the translation to foodsammy's ghettospeak might look something like this:

"Some youth and young adults seem to want to be gangsters. For a variety of reasons, some resort to thieving. The world is changing, even in AXA. Be vigilant, even there. It might be wise to keep your valuables out of sight. And if you live and work on island, it might be wise not to leave tools and equipment lying around where anyone can walk by and take it."

Now, this is true pretty much anywhere in the world. Recently, in a quiet Toronto suburb, it appears someone tried to break into my home by going through the garage. Surprise, surprise, there was no access door into the house. They didn't get away with much either (or so we thought), as they couldn't get the big door open, and the only thing of value was a snow blower (brand new, hardly used, because we had a mild winter last year.) Weeks later, we discovered missing, two boxes of mason jars! So I had to buy new jars for garden veggie canning season. Imagine reporting to to cops, after the fact that I want my mom's jars back?! They are part heirloom, part utilitarian. No value to the thief, unless he/she is living in poverty and needs the money. How much can they sell jars for? Or unless they have a mom or grandma who cans veggies or fruits.

My point: wherever there are humans there is thieving. Today's version is clothed in gansta fashion and carries gangsta weapons from time to time. No need to fear that it is out of control in AXA any more than it is out of control in my quiet suburb. But s*#t can happen, so conduct yourselves accordingly, even on holiday.

Edited: 8:06 am, October 26, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Crime?

Foodsammy - one of the most bizarre posts I've ever read on TA in any forum!?!

"Tools on a jobsite" where's the relevance in that for tourists?

Lugano, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Crime?

We are going back again to Anguilla in August for 3 weeks.

We stay at Shoal Bay Villas.

We, too, were supposed to go to Madeariman the night of the robberies and I asked my husband if we could jst order a pizza from there and eat it on the beach!

So, we weren't there to witness the 4 masked men with guns holding up the only 2 restaurants that were open on the beach that evening!

But to our shock and surprise we got held up by one of the masked men on the beach as they were making their escape! I heard a girl scream, I thought some young guy was stealing something from her, I stood up, yelled "what's going on" and there was the last of the 4 guys with a pistol in my face asking for money. I told him I was just relaxing on the beach and didn't gave any money on me. He then proceeded to point the gun at my husband and request the same!

Basically, if we hadn't interrupted his escape we would never have been held up.

Luckily, THANK GOD, a few minutes before I sent my son inside with hs friend to play.

Considering that bad experience we ended up going back the next year and now this is our fourth year back!

Shoal bay is so beautiful it has not deterred us from going back.

Madearamins and Shoal Bay Villas now ave SECURITY CAMERAS!!