We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Truth about Cap Juluca

Yonkers, New York
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Truth about Cap Juluca

Hi,

New member here...I'm a bit confused about Cap Juluca. I am seriously consideirng it as a honeymoon destination this July, as it is always noted in reputable mags as one of the best resorts in the Caribbean. However, the reviews on Trip Advisor (especially the recent ones) are horrible. Can someone please give me an accurate, unbiased review of this place? One account describes it as paradise, and then in the next review it is described as a decaying shell of its former self that is populated by Anguillans who are constantly badgering you for tips and complaining about management.

Level Contributor
34 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

the truth about cap juluca is that it is an OLDER hotel. some rooms are in excellent condition and others could use a little tlc. when we were there we went to 3 different rooms to find one suitable. the service in the hotel was excellent by anguilla standards. the beach is wonderful although my favorite is shoal beach east where Ku is. You might want to split between the two. one area is lively the other quiet. the pool is a non issue because the beach is so good. it's all subjective, there are things to pick on anywhere, but in anguilla it doesn't have to be perfect as the island and the people make up for anything lacking in the ultimate "luxury" category. Sunday at Jonno's for their Jazz Brunch is a musical delight.

baltimore
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

Hi Johnny - my wife and I (who happen to be former Hobokenites) were at Ku this month but spent most of our time at Cap Juluca. It's a stunning property. The beach is incredible and from a looks standpoint it can't be beat. We saw a room there and it is more than appropriate for a honeymoon. I don't know what some people on this forum are talking about . . this resort is top notch.

We are very discerning travelers who've been all over the world, and we walked away impressed not only with the property but also from the service, the restaurants and the overall vibe, which is just as important to us as the room itself. We spoke to several guests there who had the same opinion.

My advice would be to book now and ask for the junior suite - make sure you get a corner unit as it will be STUNNING!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

OK, as promised, here are my comments-

GOOD NEWS!!!

My husband and I spent March 21-26 at Cap Juluca, and it is FANTASTIC!!! The resort is even more amazing in person than it is in any magazine. The rooms are PERFECT! We had a second floor luxury room, which had a king bed, sofa seating area and desk, and the beautiful veranda/porch that you see in all the pictures. It was magnificent. Our room did not need updating, unlike some other reviewers' rooms. The rooms do have air conditioning and it worked great, but with the breezes off the ocean, we only used it twice. And the bathroom - everyone said the bathrooms are amazing, and again, it was even more spectacular in person than it was in the pictures. Everything was very clean. We had no problems whatsoever. Water pressure in shower was great - plenty of hot water.

We had lists from friends and plans to visit other resorts and restaurants, but we ended up never leaving Cap. It was all just too perfect. Our food was great. Pricey, but still great.

The beach is everything you see in the pictures and more. The water was so clear and the sand so white. Spectacular!

The owners, Hillary and Deon, were very present and very accesible the week we were there. We missed meeting them at a cocktail hour they hosted for guests one of the evenings, but the next day, when she saw us on the beach, she introduced herself to us and welcomed us as if we were her personally invited guests. (As she did with everyone.)They are simply a fabulous couple.

BAD NEWS-

The pool is old, and shows it's age. It's still very nice and clean, but it's not a central design feature of the property like the pictures show of CuisinArt. If you're looking at all the travel magazines with infinity pools and the like, that pool is not here at Cap. This resort was designed and laid out around the beach, which is outstanding.

Two of the public rooms/area around check in needed updated tile and newer upholstered cushions. Public areas get high use, and the tropical climate can cause even more "wear" issues, so if the resort was remodled 7-8 years ago, some of these rooms are due again. So it leaves an impression, but we spent all of maybe 10-15 minutes total in these areas, so I can't reccomend somebody not go because of that.

So, in response to reviews that swing from great to horrible, here's my 2 cents:

This island, and this resort, caters to a VERY elite and demanding clientele. So I think the bad reviews are coming from some whose standards are very very high. And I never visited earlier to have the basis of comparison as some reviewers have. Would I go back? Absolutely. Would I reccomend this resort? Absolutely.

I hope this helps. And I hope that you and your bride-to-be have a marvelous honeymoon! Good Luck!

Christine

Boston...
10 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Good to hear

California
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

Look for Cap Juluca in a coming episode of Secret Life of on the Food Network called Secret Life of Island Eats.

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

I stayed at Cap for my honeymoon in 2003, and although it is a beautiful resort and we had the best time all around there was one thing that made it a little lack-luster in our sight. (you asked for the truth)

- First, just to mention, Don't go for the pool, that's for sure. However, like everyone has mentioned with the beach and water, who needs the pool?

- There were ants in our room, EVERYWHERE! We stayed in a luxury 2nd floor room. We stayed in two different rooms actually and both had ant problems. I was spraying the room, bathroom and area around the BED constantly. I did have house keeping come and fumigate/spray the room but that didn't help. Having to spray ants around the bed and headboard kind of kills the "luxury/romance" atmosphere. We spoke with another couple who stayed in a Junior Suite and they complained about the ants also.

I have been to many tropical places (DR, Jamaica, Mexico) which did have ants but not nearly as many as Cap J.

We would like to go again because of the beach, food and service but the thought of having to spray the bed down every night and shake the sheets out makes us think twice. Next time we go to Anguilla we are going to try CuisinArt. (then maybe Cap again ;-)

Really that was the ONLY negative thing. (I just asked my husband to confirm)

New York
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

Oh forgot to mention. I never once got solicited for tips while at the resort. Although once I was approached on the beach by a woman asking me to buy something. I don't remember what it was though. That did throw me off a little since I thought they didn't allow beach merchants on the property.

New York
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: The Truth about Cap Juluca

My husband and I were married in Cap Juluca, we have returned many times, it is the most romantic place in the world, and we have traveled quite a bit. The staff is kind and helpful, I have never been asked for a tip. It is private and quiet, not a place one goes to find Nightlife, just to be romantic and get away from it all. A perfect honeymoon spot. Go, enjoy.