We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Providenciales or Anguilla????

St. Louis
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Providenciales or Anguilla????

Hi,

I am planning a trip for my wife and I and am having a hard time deciding between Anguilla and Provi. Has anyone been to both islands who can give me some pointers and help me choose.

we are looking for something low key...somewhere to get away from it all and just enjoy the beach and relax....we dont care about shopping or nightlife....upscale accomodations and variety of restaurants and great scenery

thank you for your help

Mystic, CT
Level Contributor
2,503 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

Hi,

I've been to both and loved both.

Great beaches and great restaurants.

You didn't say what time of year you're considering - this could be a factor. If you're going during the winter months, Anguilla might be a safer bet temperature-wise.

Provo is a little easier to get to.

Both have a good choice of accomodations. Hope this helps.

boston
Level Contributor
132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

Close call. Returning to Anguilla for second time this February. Both have great restaurants, both low key vacation spots. On Anguilla, you need to rent a car and travel to different beaches, Provo has one LONG beach (One of the most beautiful stretches of beach). Have not been to Provo since 2001, more hotels have been built. Good luck in your decision.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

we will be travelling during the first week of may

Beach Haven...
Level Contributor
360 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

Hi,

You can't go wrong.I think you'll be happy with either island, both seem to fit what you're looking for.You can always do what we did ,we couldn't decide at all so we flipped a coin and went to one that year and the other the following year.Enjoy whichever you choose.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,932 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

Both are great.

Beaches and snorkeling, I give the edge to Provo.

Restaurants, I give to Anguilla.

Island hopping, I give to Anguilla.

Accomadations, tie.

Island "vibe" and nicer people, I give to Anguilla.

Easier reaching the destination, I give to Provo.

Better, consistent weather, I give to Provo.

Both are excellent, and I keep going back to both, you can't go wrong with either.

6. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:36 pm, January 30, 2006
Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

Hi Slu traveler

Tough call here. Both are lovely. Certainly PROVO is easy to get to - no ferry ride. Beaches in both destinations are lovely.

When you mention upscale and fine dining, I must admit my vote sways toward Anguilla.

I think dining on this island is like no other, bar none!!

Which resorts in Anguilla have you ben considering? I would do CuisinArt or Cap Jaluca hands down.

trvlnbum@aol.com

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

These are our absolute two favorites in the Caribbean so it's a tough call.

Pretty much agree with Blamona on all counts except I'd give the beaches (but not snorkeling)to Anguilla. Beautiful Grace Bay is the place to be on Provo and most of the accommodations are there, but Anguilla has several beautiful beaches. It's less crowded and unlike Provo we've never had to scramble early AM to get shade under a beach umbrella.

The beach and ocean is the scenery on these islands and you can't go wrong with island.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

I have only been to Anguilla, but for those who have been to both, is there any accomodation on Provi that compares to Cap in Anguilla?

I've heard there is a resort on Grace Bay with beautiful rooms and outdoor showers, steps from the ocean, but I couldn't find it on the net. Does anyone know what resort I'm speaking of?

Which is more expensive Anguilla or Provi?

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
13,932 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Providenciales or Anguilla????

I think Anguilla is more expensive, although Provo is catching up.

I think Parrot Cay may have outdoor showers, not sure. Provo is more built up than Anguilla, but on par with Cap I think is Point Grace.