We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Cul de sac area

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Safety in Cul de sac area

We are planning our first trip to Anguilla in March and have rented a villa in the Cul de Sac area. While researching the island I have come across some posting regarding the safety of that area. We are traveling with small children 4 and 6 year old. We have been to a number of Caribbean islands so we are very aware of the standard safety precautions that need to be taken anywhere that we travel.

Could one of the amazing Anguilla advisors give me your thoughts please?

We are very excited about our upcoming vacation!

Thank you!!!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
819 posts
4 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

I have stayed in the Cul de Sac area both alone and with my husband several times- I felt a little uneasy alone but think I would have anywhere coming back late at night to an empty place - but all was fine- with my husband I never even think about it. We don't hang out by Blowing Point late at night or walk the roads late at night - but I just think that makes sense - the villa we stay at has a decent alarm system with lights that go on via motion detectors so this helps ease my mind also. I'd say you're safe - most of the trouble I've heard about in that area was between young local guys and not tourist related - but I would still check with the owner or rental agent about security precautions etc. because it is an area that has had a few issues and it's not like you're at a big resort with security etc. Personally I would stay there without hesitation but it's really a personal decision

Michigan
Level Contributor
190 posts
2. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

Don't get sucked into the "Im in paradise--nothing can happen here" mode ANYWHERE, not just in Anguilla. The problems in Cul-de-sac, and elsewhere, have been 99% because people were foolish. Lock your doors and windows whenever you go out and at night. Don't think it would be fun to feel the breeze and hear the sea by leaving your doorwall open. Set your alarm if you have one. Just be smart. You wouldn't go to bed at night when you're at home and leave your doors open or unlocked. That's all it takes to have a safe and happy vacation. Anguilla IS paradise but just don't act like it is and you'll be fine!!

Anguilla
Level Contributor
920 posts
3. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

Islander remembers when crime news in St. Maarten was suppressed, to protect the tourism sector. This resulted in lessened pressure on the authorities to provide more effective law enforcement. Things got out of control and, in my opinion, deteriorated to a tipping point from which they have never been able to recover. From this lesson, Islander believes that people should be told the truth. Some will accuse Islander of being irresponsible for not lying about the situation. It all depends if our interests are short term or long term.

Rather recently, certain taxi drivers, motivated more by their needs than those of our visitors, were telling people that we have no crime and they needn't lock their doors. This is gross irresponsibility.

Islander believes there are systemic problems within the Royal Anguilla Police Force. The Hotel & Tourism Association, a private group, have been good about demanding improvement. The Tourist Board, however, has failed to provide AHTA with effective support on this issue. Problems continue. The Governor has responded by providing a few experienced, professional British officers. This has helped a lot but this handful of men are overwhelmed.

There have been, if I recall correctly, two very serious crimes against visitors in the past 20 years. One was fatal. While of course one such crime in 20 years is one too many, this is a good record. But I feel obligated to inform "rapbeach08" and others that both of these occurred in the Cul de Sac-Rendezvous Bay areas.

It is well established in law enforcement that the most effective way to reduce crime is to put officers on the street in patrol cars. This is not advanced criminology. This was discovered in the 1930 when they were called "radio cars."

In Anguilla there is a widely held belief that such foreign solutions do not apply here because we are somehow different. Accordingly, those in charge of manpower deployment, in their infinite wisdom, decided to take patrol officers OFF the street in order to man a new police station at the Blowing Point ferry terminal.

But I've been to Cul de Sac dozens of times and I was never murdered even once, so what do I know?

Islander

Boston...
Level Contributor
66 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

Islander,

Well articulated. Just use common sense and enjoy. We all want to think AXA is truly safe but it's that rare exception that proves our trust wrong.

By virtue of the Blowing Point/Cul de sac area being a central point of inter island transportation, there is a bit more exposure.

alegaleg

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
5. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

Thanks for all your input!!! I really appreciate all the information that is provided on the forum.

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
179 posts
14 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

My wife and I have stayed at Tree Top villa 8 times which is located in the area you are concerned about. We have never had any issues but would agree with everyone that although you find yourself in an amazing place there are always people who will take an opportunity if it is presented. Be mindful of your surroundings but don't let your concerns ruin what is likely to be a terrific vacation. March 17 can't come fast enough to escape a Canadian winter. Can't wait.

7. Re: Safety in Cul de sac area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 21, 2010