We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Sellers

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Sellers

I was really quite surprised this past visit to note that for the very first time I noticed beach sellers were a regular occurrence every single day. There were 5 of them when I was there. One woman actually came up to me when I was laying there with my eyes closed and woke me up to ask me if I wanted anything.

How long has this been going on at Cap Juluca? I have not been to Maunday's Bay for 4 years. Am I behind the times?

Are the other major beaches (RVB & Meads) also having a plethora of beach sellers as well?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
247 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Sellers

When I was at Ku in December, there were beach sellers :( However, they didn't wake me up and if I shut my eyes in front of them they walked on. I was very sad to see that--still the best beaches in the Carib.

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Sellers

Also selling on Rendezvous.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Sellers

Woke you up--yikes! There is always an frail sweet

elderly woman on Maunday's Bay. Never a bother.

I have seen 2 other large younger woman on the beach-

but not agressive. Bummer

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Sellers

Perhaps she just thought that I was sunning myself with my eyes closed but even that's really no excuse.

The reason I mentioned it is because it is something very, very new to me on this particular island. I realize it is de rigueur on St. Maarten and Jamaican beaches but those are larger islands. To my knowledge it has never been a usual happening in the smaller Caribbean islands like AXA.

New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Sellers

Pepper that must have been so annoying! They can't

get you at Turtle Cove!

cape may new jersey
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Sellers

For as long as I can remember there were a few - 3 maybe 4 regular vendors on Shoal Bay East but they never woke you up or spoke to you if you were reading a book and when you just shook your head no or said you were not interested they would always move on

Last February on Meads Bay I was surprised to see a couple of vendors but they just moved on if you were reading or sleeping

This past December -we were on Meads Bay for a month and I only saw one vendor who was just walking down the beach - he didn't seem to be going over to anybody

I'm not sure but I seem to remember hearing that there is some sort of unwritten rule in Anguilla that the vendors are not to disturb or continue to ask you to buy something if you tell them once that you are not interested - maybe somebody else knows more about this??

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Sellers

Spend a week at Mead's Bay ( Mallihouhana Hotel) in Nov 2006 and no sellers, ZERO ! there were few days when we were on the beach alone, yeap, just the two of us. The beach boy set up umbrella and water for us, then left coming back to check if we don't need anything once in a long while. Can't wait to go back.

MA
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Sellers

I have also noticed them on Meads Bay in the past two years. It was the same woman and man two times a week. I simply waved them on and they never bothered me. If no ones makes purchases they will move on...hopefully permanently

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
9,758 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Sellers

Pepper, how annoying! They drove me nuts in Zihuatanejo at Thanksgiving. All day long, the same ones over and over. You would think if you said no the first time, they would not keep asking, but no.

They are a persistent lot in Mexico, hopefully AXA will never get to that stage.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,644 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Sellers

What puzzles me is that 4 years ago this was never an occurrence on Maunday's Bay beach or Meads Bay beach -- ever!

In the past, I do recall a woman sitting at the side of Cove Bay very unobtrusively and if one wanted to see her wares there was no pressure because we went up to HER instead of her coming to US.

When did all this change?

And more importantly, HOW did it change? With a new permission of the government to allow hawking of wares where they were never hawked before?