We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla on a budget?

Toronto
Level Contributor
380 posts
7 reviews
15 helpful votes
Anguilla on a budget?

Is this even a reasonable question, looking for budget accommodations during Xmas 2018. I can afford about $250 - $275 US per night. I need a place within walking distance to beach, and restaurants, as I do not drive. Are there any buses on the island, and what are the rates of taxis. I am open to private condo or apartments.

24 replies to this topic
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
332 reviews
276 helpful votes
1. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

Check Roy's Bayside Grill, they have an apartment, located on the beach in Sandy Ground, within walking distance to restaurants and beach bars.

Also daVida cottages, located on the beach at Crocus Bay, within walking distance to daVida Bayside restaurant and grill - For inquiries or reservations, send email to lloydsbedandbreakfast@gmail.com.

Taxis can be expensive, as they are by the zone.

Good luck,

Ellen

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
85 reviews
53 helpful votes
2. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

Anguilla IMHO is an not an island to visit on a budget in what resorts call the Festive Season, when they charge their highest rates. Taxis are very expensive, which is why so many people rent cars. That being said, look into:

Elodia's, at the intersection of Shoal Bay East and Upper Shoal Bay is a great location where you can walk to bars and restaurants enjoying two of the islands most spectacular arcs of dazzling white sand. There is snorkeling from the shore and Junior Fleming can take you to Little Bay or wa

http://elodiasbeachresort.com/rates/

I've seen triple and quadruple rainbows from the area around Elodia'a.

Bonne chance! ;~>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0---<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CT
Level Contributor
628 posts
95 reviews
72 helpful votes
3. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

I would agree that the Caribbean in general is completely overpriced around the Christmas holidays. We avoid this time frame like the plague. If you are traveling on a budget, this is not the right fit.

And please be aware, Anguilla is not well lit at night. That means walking is a hazard, so taxi's would be mandatory.

Why not wait and go after the first week in January? Same place, better prices!!!

New York
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
10 reviews
6 helpful votes
4. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

Aruba would have hotels, timeshares you could rent from in your price range along with buses.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
701 posts
34 reviews
54 helpful votes
5. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

As others have said, "festive season" is the most expensive time of the year on Anguilla and places that would be in your budget a week before and a week after are not during the holidays.

Reading between the lines I sense that your plan is to NOT be home during that time, so moving the trip may not be an option or may miss the point of the exercise.

I am sure folks can recommend places more off the beaten path that would work for accommodation price wise, but the location would require a car or many expensive taxi trips, even if you hit the supermarket and cooked in a lot, you'd still want to get to the beach and distance would likely be a problem due to the high cost of taxis.

If the point is to be away over the holidays, perhaps Mexico might work and still give you warmth and easy access to food and the beach all in one location?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
375 posts
6. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

Look into Le Vue. While not right on the beach, it overlooks Sandy Ground. Beautiful view, and you can walk down a goat path to the beach below, which has great restaurants in all price points. Also centrally located, which can be a plus for taxis.

I’d say it’s doable!

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
487 posts
7. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

be cautious walking up or down the atv path / goat path from La Vue to Sandy Ground. A yr or so ago the advice from La Vue to guests was to stay off of it due to crime, even if infrequent on the path.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
986 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

travelerroct: post Irma, more street lights have been added, including very bright bulbs. I would consider it pretty well lit now.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
332 reviews
276 helpful votes
9. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

Also check a studio at Fountain Residences on Shoal Bay East, you would be on one of the top ten beaches in the world and within walking distance to beach bars and restaurants:

https://www.fountainanguilla.com/…

CT
Level Contributor
628 posts
95 reviews
72 helpful votes
10. Re: Anguilla on a budget?

I was there after the new lights had been installed. My comment still stands. I would not want bright lights everywhere, I would rather look at the stars. That said, the roads can still be very dark at night.

Reply to: Anguilla on a budget?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted