We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

NYC
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

This is the first of a five-part blog post that recounts our pre-Irma trip this past June. I thought long and hard about whether to post it. On the one hand, the possibility that photos of me and Angel enjoying bars, restaurants, and hotels that were damaged or destroyed during Hurricane Irma would serve as a painful reminder of all that was lost -- particularly for the owners of those establishments -- was always at the forefront of my mind.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that those happy memories might be welcome. What better motivation to rebuild than to know that so many love you and miss you and are eagerly awaiting your return? Those memories can never be erased, with or without the photos; rather, they are precisely what allow us to look forward even when the future seems bleak or uncertain.

In the end, I realized that each of us has a role to play in Anguilla's recovery, whether that involves donating money or supplies or providing hands-on rebuilding skills. Me, I'm not too good with a hammer, and I'm downright terrifying with power tools. But what I hopefully can do, through words and photos, is encourage you to return to Anguilla. Many places, including Fountain Residences where we stayed on this visit, are open and ready to welcome you. I can potentially inspire those who have never been to the island to give it a chance, despite what they may have seen on TV or read in the papers. And I can remind everyone who reads these posts that while many of Anguilla's buildings have been damaged or destroyed, the reason why we visit -- the warmth, beauty, and kindness of her resilient people -- can never be destroyed by any storm, no matter how big.

https://traceyg.travellerspoint.com/181/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
393 posts
1 review
1. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Tracey:

What a wonderful start to your blog. I did learn something very valuable: be careful of offhand comments. I remember mentioning that the phone in the room COULD be used as a mobile phone, not that it SHOULD be used as a mobile phone. I can just imagine 24 "Soviet era" phones floating around the island! Anyway, I look forward to installments 2-5. Your photography is, as always, glorious.

Hal

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Tracey- thanks for posting and your thoughtful approach. I, for one, have always enjoyed your humorous view of my favorite part of the world. Cheers!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,729 posts
10 reviews
23 helpful votes
3. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Oh my dear Fashion Lady, you did it again. Too bad you didn't save some of that cake for us. You could have left it in their freezer with our names on it you know!

Now I have 4 more juicy installments to whet my appetite.

Keep 'em comin'!!

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
375 posts
87 reviews
54 helpful votes
4. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Tracey,

What a great report. The photographs are absolutely gorgeous, as per usual.

Thank you for sharing.

Southwick...
Level Contributor
373 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Your post is a excellent prologue to the blog. (Can we call it a plog?)

I read the blog first and shared your concerns. Solution? Read the post first!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,894 posts
324 reviews
260 helpful votes
6. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Tracey, as usual your blog is fun and informative. Fountain Resort looks really nice, and well cared for, it looks like a great place to stay, very well done.

I loved all your pictures and of course your clothes.

I had the lobster thermidor at FBI once, this was when it was still on the menu, it is one of my top meals ever, it is really good.

Thanks for taking the time to post, we might get rain today - first time in 116 days, and it is gloomy and dark, so this was great entertainment.

Thanks,

Ellen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
527 posts
6 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Este bizcocho! The description was ovahhh, makes me wanna run uptown for a slice! Weeeeeeepa! I love losing myself in your blog Tracey, every little bit of it. Hilarious and inviting, my secret extra treat is the resort fashion wear, the back of that bathing suit top is gorg!! Look forward to the next installments!

Edited: 1:39 pm, January 08, 2018
NYC
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Thank you all for the kind (and very funny!) comments. Parts 2-5 coming soon!

Maryland Line...
Level Contributor
324 posts
71 reviews
48 helpful votes
9. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Enjoyed the read. Thanks for posting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
10. Re: Trip Report & Photos, Part 1: The Fountain of Youth

Tracey, Loving part 1 so far. One of my favorite memories of my trip from last year was wading through the water in Rendezvous Bay and seeing a vision or mirage appear in the distance.

As I got closer, the vision came into focus and lo and behold, it was Anguillian celebrity couple, Tracey and Angel. What a thrill!! You were both as gracious and funny as you come across in your blog.

I hope to cross paths with you both again sometime, hopefully as we are all enjoying frozen mojitos at Cuisinart.

Best,

Caribbean Ag...fellow FBI cheeseburger fan and self proclaimed fish sandwich expert.

Edited: 2:31 pm, January 09, 2018