We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

I wanted to share my recent trip to Anguilla with this forum because I relied heavily on and enjoyed reading the trip reports of others. I've always said I wouldn't return to the same place twice but with Anguilla, I'm in love. Beautiful beaches, delicious food and warm, friendly people... a beach vacation trifecta. We loved it so much I am already planning a return trip next Summer with my children (teenagers).

My husband and I visited to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We arrived in SXM and chose the private ferry to get to the island worry-free since we were first-timers. It was very fast and easy, and we enjoyed rum punch on the way over. But at $500 it's not necessarily worth it. Be prepared for lots of tipping. I think our bags changed hands many times by the time they arrived to the hotel, airport to shuttle, shuttle to ferry, ferry front to inside the boat, boat to taxi on Anguilla, porter to our room. I was prepared for this and had plenty of money ready to go. For our return trip, on the public ferry I believe we tipped one person. It took longer but it was pretty easy.

We stayed at the Malliouhana in a Jr. Suite and it was a gorgeous property with friendly staff and excellent service. We had the coconut yogurt, fruit and granola every morning and it was delicious. I highly recommend getting a car and exploring the area or you will surely miss the true charm of the island... the people. Google map/directions got us everywhere we needed to go.You just have to adjust to driving on the left and metric system. Most of the car rental companies will deliver right to your hotel and they let us leave ours at the ferry terminal when we departed. We used Hertz. We didn't have a bad meal while we were here and we loved how each beach had different character. I'll briefly tell you my favorite things and generally what we paid as a reference but I did review each place separately.

Mead's Bay- beautiful, calm water perfect for snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boards. Soft white sand. Decent snorkeling by the cliffs by Malli.

Blanchard's Beach Shack - So delicious and the most reasonably priced food we found. Our favorites were the street tacos, blue cheese burger and mani BLT. Of course, the chocolate chips cookies and pina coladas were yummy, too! $20-40 for lunch for two depending on whether or not we ordered cocktails.

Veya - We thought it was very good and some people we met said it was the best tuna they had ever eaten. The cocktails were not good at all. I tried two different options and didn't like either. We had 4 drinks, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees and 2 desserts and spent about $250. The only time we took a cab was from Malli to Veya and back and it was $62 not including tip. This was our least favorite food but the open treehouse feel and live music was nice.

Traditions Sunset Cruise - This was our favorite thing we did all week. Deb and Laurie are outstanding hosts and the food was gourmet and wonderful. Can't recommend enough.

Picante - Corn cob appetizer, guacamole, and seafood enchiladas. Incredible and more moderately priced. We paid about $95 for 3 drinks, 2 appetizers, 2 entrees.

Rendezvous Bay - Beautiful beach, windy. Tons of huge starfish everywhere. Easy to spot while snorkeling. Garvey's Sunshine Shack was a great place to have lunch and use their beach chairs. Delicious ribs, reggae music and great service! Ribs were $20/each for lunch and came with rice, slaw, and salad. Drinks about $8-10.

Shoal Bay East - Another perfect beach! Plenty of options to rent chairs and have lunch. We opted for the Tropical Sunset Bar. It was pretty good. We had coconut shrimp and rum punch. I think we spent about $60 here including a few drinks.

Artisan - Very sweet owners, caramel popcorn appetizer, caprese salad, pizza, and delicious sea salt caramel gelato. We met one of the owners of Elvis' Beach Bar while there. We had watched his dog at Shoal Bay East dig and bury a coconut and then find it and rinse it in the ocean and do it all over again. It was too cute. It was funny to figure out it was his dog we had watched all day! 3 drinks, 2 appetizers, two pizzas, 2 gelatos was approximately $115.

Dolce Vita on Sandy Ground - Sprocka was playing while we were here, we loved it. Bellinis, Caprese Salad, Gorgonzola gnocchi appetizer and seafood pasta in white wine butter sauce, sorbet. Insanely good. $200+

We had reservations for everything but nothing is too crowded this time of year.

Tropical Sea Spray Gift Shop - We just loved visiting with Pamela and her partner, the owners. We bought a few gifts and came back twice for their White Sands smoothie with rum... not on the menu... ask for it... you won't regret it. She actually mentioned several of the names I've seen on this forum regularly that she enjoys visiting with while on the island.

Iris Life - This is a great t-shirt shop with another sweet lady who works there. I wish I had caught her name. There is a really cool look-out by the store in front of La Vue. Gorgeous view of Sandy ground with the boats... great pic.

The west end was dealing with some seaweed issues while we were there, specifically SBW and Maunday's Bay. Cap Juluca was still beautiful to see and they had worked very hard to clear it up. It wasn't too bad in my opinion, nothing like 2015 when it was terrible all over the caribbean. Savannah Bay/Junks Hole was covered in seaweed.

I just can't say enough great things about Anguilla! Don't be fooled by the scrubby landscape or the half-completed houses. This place is paradise with hidden gems everywhere. 11 months until I return!

Happy Travels,

Stephanie

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
238 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Interesting to read your report, we were there this month too. Didn't stay at Malli, but spent a lot of time walking around that resort and taking photos, it's so gorgeous. We were so disappointed in Maundy's Bay/Cap this time around, entire beach area was filled with seaweed except for very far end by Pimm's. We ended up leaving after we had lunch. One of our top meals was at Malli, such great food there! Glad you had a good trip.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Loved your report, it was fun to read about all the places you visited and your take on the island.

Traditions is so great, Laurie and Deb know how to take care of their guests, glad you got to experience their hospitality.

St Martin beaches have been plagued with seaweed recently, and the south facing beaches of Anguilla are suffering because of this https:/…67716-seaweed-galore

Thanks for a great read.

Ellen

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Thank you for sharing your first experience! Sounds like the perfect 20th Anniversary celebration! You have officially caught "the bug" and are part of the Anguilla Addicts Group! Whoa I had no idea a private ferry was $500! You sure got to many of our favorite restaurants and beaches. I keep hearing how Traditions Sunset Cruise is so fabulous again and again…..On our list! Yep, the countdown for your return begins! Thanks again!

Granville MA
Level Contributor
711 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Loved your report! Tropical Sunset is my place for awesome drinks and conch fritters. Also love Blanchard's Beach Shack for the Mahi-Mahi BLT. Thanks for sharing! Anguilla is a great island with wonderful people!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Oh how I loved reading your report. I did agree with most all of your opinions.

I do suggest that when you return again (and you will) you also think about dining at Jacala, Blanchards and Mangos. And be sure not to miss Straw Hat for lunch and Petals boutique right next door -- double winners.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Love trip reports from first timers!! Thank you! Reading up and making our plans for next years trip, welcome to Anguilla Anonymous for all Anguilla addicts :) !!

Pa
Level Contributor
120 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

It sounds like your anniversary trip was wonderful. Give Veya another try as it is always one of my favorites. Next trip try you should try E's Oven and B& D's BarBQ for a local favor. We loved the Traditions sunset sail also and Blanchard beach shack's mahi BLT is the best

Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Thank you everyone for all of the nice words and suggestions for future trips! Anguilla Addicts sounds like a group I want to be a part of! There are so many more restaurants we are dying to try, we just flat out ran out of time!

The $500 private transfer was arranged by the hotel and included the private boat and a town car to the hotel from the ferry terminal. It may cost less if you do it yourself or skip the town car. We enjoyed it but not worth it unless money is no object. It seems like it would be fun to share a transfer with others who are equally excited to be heading to Anguilla.

Everyone we talked to loved Veya. It wasn't really the right place to go after a very long day of traveling to the island. I would never have booked it for our first night but their website showed that Omari Banks performed on Monday nights and I was hoping to catch him perform. Turns out he wasn't there. Oh well, maybe next time. It wasn't bad just underwhelming for us.

Paoli, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

next time just walk over to Blanchard's Beach Shack or Ocean Echo for a first night dinner and an early

bedtime. I am always wiped from traveling.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Anguilla Trip Report - July 2017

Glad you had a great time! Anguilla has our hearts as well! I hate to admit it, but I have found Veya just ehhh as well during my 4 visits.

Regarding ferry, next time look into GB, Calypso or Funtime. You can share a private ferry for about $70 a person and they will meet you at the airport and transport you the 1 minute to the ferry dock.

Edited: 8:45 am, July 22, 2017