We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Notes (June 5-19)

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
340 reviews
Trip Notes (June 5-19)

My wife and I spent two weeks in Anguilla, June 5-19. We've been there many times before, but never for that long. It was a great trip (as always), and we were fortunate to have beach weather every day without exception. We were joined for one week by another couple we met on a previous Anguilla trip, so we also got to share the experience with some friends.

I was originally going to write a full trip report, but it would have been too long so I’m just summarizing what we did. However, I’ve written separate TripAdvisor reviews for our hotel, restaurants, and activities; you can click on my profile to find all my reviews (some of which are pending publication as I write this). Note that we had good experiences everywhere, mainly because I use TripAdvisor reviews and this forum to find the best places to go.

TRAVEL TO/FROM ANGUILLA

We flew to/from SXM on American, arriving and departing on a Monday. This time, instead of a ferry, we decided to try Anguilla Air Services (AAS) to fly to AXA from SXM (and back), which is only a little more expensive than the private ferries, and it worked out really well.

Flying to AXA meant we didn’t have to go through SXM Customs and Immigration; AAS staff (who were very nice) claimed our checked luggage for us, and we were able to proceed to the departure gate. Our AAS flight left about a half hour after we disembarked from our incoming flight, and we even had time to shop at SXM between flights. The AAS plane was tiny and warm, but the flight over was only about 7 minutes and provided great views of both St. Martin and Anguilla. We shared the flight with another tourist couple and a local. When we arrived at AXA, Customs was empty except for the other couple.

On the return trip to SXM our AAS flight was scheduled for 1:30. We arrived at AXA at about 12:10, and the AAS flight departed early, at 12:40, because we were the only passengers. When we arrived at SXM, we were able to skip most of the security line (which was fairly long); we merged in the line right before the scanners.

I would definitely use AAS again, if the timing worked out. When I booked the flights, I submitted some questions to AAS via e-mail, and they were very responsive.

RENTAL CAR

I rented from Ronnie Bryan as usual, a Jeep Compass this time. I had arranged with Ronnie to have the car waiting at the airport, and it was in the parking lot, which is very close to the terminal (it’s a small airport).

Ronnie now provides the option of completing all the paperwork electronically, so we didn’t have to meet with him afterwards to sign everything, as we’ve had to do before.

HOTEL (CAP JULUCA)

We stayed at Cap Juluca, as always. Our friends. who arrived the following Friday, also stayed at there. See my TripAdvisor review of the hotel for details.

LUNCHES/DAYTIME ACTIVITIES

Here are the places we had lunch and spent our afternoons. We’re not morning people, so unless we had to be somewhere earlier, we usually didn’t get to wherever we were going until about 11:30-12:00.

-- Blue at Cap Juluca/Maundays Bay (5 days)

-- Blanchards Beach Shack/Meads Bay (twice)

-- Elodia’s/Shoal Bay East

-- Elvis’ Beach Bar (drinks) & Roy’s Bayside Grill (lunch) on Sandy Ground

-- Nat’s Palm Grove

-- Chocolat with Captain Rollin’s (boat excursion to Prickly Pear and Sandy Island)

-- Scilly Cay

-- Garvey’s SunShine Shack/Rendezvous Bay

See my reviews for more details. I didn’t write a separate review for Blue, but I covered it in my hotel review, and I didn’t write a review of Elvis’ because we didn’t eat there (but the Planter’s Punches were very good).

DINNERS

The Anguilla restaurants are always a highlight of our trips there. Here are the ones we tried for dinner this time:

-- Spice and Pimms at Cap Juluca

-- Blanchards

-- Meze

-- Picante

-- Veya

-- Jacala

-- Malliouhana

-- Mango’s

-- Dolce Vita

-- Sunset Lounge (Four Seasons)

-- SandBar

-- da’Vida

-- Straw Hat

See my reviews for more details. I didn’t write reviews for Spice or Pimms, but I covered them in my hotel review.

SHOPPING

We’re not big shoppers, but we did stop at Irie Life to check out their stuff (my wife bought a t-shirt). I also bought t-shirts from a number of the restaurants we tried.

Note that Best Buy West now sells Pyrat rum. However, when we bought some there we got the last bottle on the shelf, and they never replaced it during our stay. Albert Lake’s in the Valley has plenty of Pyrat if you need it.

If you buy gas at the Sol gas station on the West End, note that they don't take credit cards.

THAT'S ALL FOLKS...

Everything else worth mentioning is covered in my reviews.

No matter what you do, you’ll enjoy your visit to Anguilla!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
311 reviews
1. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

You really got out and did a lot. I have been reading your reviews and they have been great, very detailed, and filled with good information.

Glad to hear you had such a great trip, thanks for taking the time.

Ellen

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
340 reviews
2. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

Thanks for the kind words. I get a lot out of TripAdvisor reviews and this forum, so I try to give back. My current reviews might not be quite as detailed as usual (especially for places I've reviewed previously), but I had a lot of reviews to write. :-)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

Aah yessss! You travel my path so it was like revisiting right along with you. A lovely report and very informative but never say it could be too long. We love 'em long!!!!!!!!

I was a bit puzzled about the fact that you had any line at all on the return AAS trip unless you were NOT doing carry on luggage -- and that would account for it.

Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
340 reviews
4. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

@Pepper: We didn't have to wait in line after getting off the AAS flight on the return trip. After checking in our bags for our flight home, we had to go through security, but we were able to skip the line and go directly to the point where they scan your carry on items.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

Gotcha. (good case for carry-on, eh?)

6. Re: Trip Notes (June 5-19)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 09, 2018