We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night life & Live Music

NJ
13 posts
Save Topic
Night life & Live Music

Being that this is our first time on the island, my boyfriend and I don't know where to go for live music...

We've heard things about Johnno's and a few other places but could someone make suggestions as to what nights to go where...

Thanks!

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Night life & Live Music

There will most likely be either a newspaper, of sorts, or a magazine (Anguilla Life) in your room or villa which will have where the bands play on any given night. I know Sunsets has live music on Fridays, the Pumphouse has a band several nights a week -- we like it there on Thursday nights, Johnno's has a band (& cover charge) several nights and a jazz brunch on Sunday, Ku has live music on Sunday afternoon, Smokeys has a band on Saturday afternoon (12-3), Scilly Cay has music Wednesday and Sunday (afternoons only), to name a few. Also check out Sprockas and Elodias.

The Plains, VA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Night life & Live Music

We're always big fans of going to catch bands at the Pumphouse and the Dune Preserve. The Roadwell used to have great music, but it is gone...

I've found that the best way to find out what is going on and what is worth attending is to ask around with the local folks we meet. Especially during high season, there are usually several competing spots and we rely on those who know better to tell us which bands are best to go see. If you find a band you like, ask the people at the show where they are going the next night.

Talking to people who live on Anguilla has the added benefit of usually keeping you out of some of the crazier scenes. We went to the Dune Preserve one night and because of its location (right next to Cuisinart), all the teenagers who who vacationing with their families over Christmas were the only ones there on that particular night. I thought I was at a high school party!!! I don't hate teenagers or anything, but it felt very bazaar being the oldest couple there and only being in our twenties... Getting advice first has prevented this issue from happening again and now we only hit the various spots when we know it is going to be the sort of evening we expect!

NJ
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Night life & Live Music

Thank you both so much!

Is there anything else we should not miss? beaches, restaurants...?

The Plains, VA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Night life & Live Music

Oh there is so much you shouldn't miss on Anguilla!!!

My personal favorites are:

Tratorria Tramonto (on Shoal Bay West)--lunch here is a MUST in my book. Hubby and I are going in May on the off chance that it does end up closing.

Elodia's (a beach bar on Shoal Bay East--great lunch spot)--in addition to atmosphere, snorkeling, etc., they have these cabana style beach chairs/tents you can rent that my fair skin loves!

Barrel Stay (in Sandy Ground) is my favorite restaurant (and it is right by the Pumphouse, fun for going out); Straw Hat (in Forest Bay) has the most romantic setting on the island, followed closely by Pimms (Cap Juluca). Food at Straw Hat is better, though. For more cutting edge cuisine, Hibernia is tip-top.

If you wake up early enough, I highly recommend going to Le Bon Pain in Island Harbor for breakfast--for perfectly made French pastries. For a more traditional breakfast, I recommend trying Tasty's (though it is great for all meals).

I could go on and on, but I'm trying to keep it brief.

NJ
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Night life & Live Music

Thank you so much for all the info! One last question...

We were thinking of having dinner at the Malliouhana, do you think it's worth it?

The Plains, VA
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Night life & Live Music

Malliouhana is worth it, if that is the type of food you dig. It is very high-end, traditional French cuisine with a ridiculously amazing wine list. That makes my mouth water, but it isn't everyone's favorite. To this end, Altamer is a comparable (but if you are staying on Meads Bay, Malli would be more convenient) experience.

I would also consider trying Le Bistro at Malli for daytime drinks. The best pina colada (or maybe it was banana...) was at Malliouhana. Mmmmm....

NJ
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Night life & Live Music

Thanks again!!!

8. Re: Night life & Live Music

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 19, 2009