We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - part 3 (final)

Virginia
Level Contributor
277 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report - part 3 (final)

All good things must come to an end I guess...for those of you reading thank you both for reading and commenting and also for your help year round in helping me create our dream trip. The TA forums are by far the most valuable resource and this forum in particular is a great one!

Thursday: Rinse and repeat—lounge on beach, read, BBS, daiquiri, nap then sunset and dinner. Tonight we hit Malliohana for dinner. Of course more pictures (because night time is different right?? Ha ha). I had the burrata appetizer (apparently I’m on a kick) it was good with roasted cherry tomatoes and toast. Much more creamy than Dolce Vita which is not good or bad, just different. DH had the octopus and then the chicken while I tried the short rib and rigatoni which I thought was much better than Blanchard’s though a little too flavorful (felt like goldilocks with these short rib pasta meals, was looking for the one flavored “just right”).

Friday: Last full day. Sniffle. Tried all the things I hadn’t tried yet at BBS but wanted to (surprisingly I hadn’t had the whole menu yet). Beach dog was excellent on the potato roll (and had to get fries) and their mahi street tacos my new favorite. DH didn’t think I’d finish it all but I proved him wrong while he had a healthy greek salad. Trattoria Tramonto was our last dinner, we always meant to come here but hadn’t gotten around to it. It was great! I had the pappardelle Bolognese nonna maria and DH had the grilled fish of the day with a mouthwatering risotto.

We passed on dessert because we were full but planned to hit BBS one last time (I can’t say goodbye) so I could get some icecream. But they were CLOSED! Despite the signs up all week that they were closing early Tues, Wed and Saturday there they were closed on Friday night early. Guess it wasn’t meant to be. I almost went next door to Blanchard’s to get a Cracked Coconut but didn’t. My waistline secretly thanked me.

Saturday: We decided to fly back using Anguilla Air Services, had our final breakfast at Strawhat and then realized we had a flat tire. That plus a number of other car mishaps made me think the universe didn’t want us to go. Delta drove us to the airport and we got our last hugs in before a smooth flight on AAS to SXM.

Then I think we made a mistake, we turned right coming out and asked immigration agent where we go if we’re headed on a flight to the States and she said to go out the exit and check in on the other side. So we basically did the same thing we would have done if we came on the ferry. I’m not sure but I think if we would have gone to the transfer desk there may have been some way to avoid it? I’m going to check into it but if not I’d probably do the ferry back next time because it was annoying to have to go back through check in, security, etc. when we just did that.

Full day of traveling meant crappy airport food/snacks which was a shock to the system after the week we just had (next time I’m stopping at geraurds for some sandwiches!). Now we start the countdown to next year!

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

It all sounds wonderful, and I can empathize with the last day blues.

New with Anguilla Air Service this year is there is now an American Airlines checkin desk right at baggage claim, so you do not exit and go to the main lobby, just check in there and head upstairs. Makes the return so much easier. Note it is only American at this point, maybe other airlines will follow.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

That is the buratta that I had it Cove Castles, that got me hooked, it was so good. Trattoria Tramento is another do not miss for us, I love their lobster ravioli, and their wood fired pizza it really good. Terrific food, beautiful setting, great staff, and wonderful music.

It has been a real pleasure reading your reports, thank you for taking the time.

Ellen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

I have just been sitting down with my first coffee of the day and reading all 3 of your lovely trip reports.

Great start to the day!

We are less than 2 weeks to our own trip and I am adding Malliouhana dinner to my list. We have not visited since the revamp and are really looking forward to that.

Thank you for taking the time to share your trip - really enjoyable reading.

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
676 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Thank you for the report! TT is always our last night meal... my fave. The food is delicious and the ambiance is wonderful. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Aha! You discovered my Chef Marc-style burrata! Creamy and soft like no other. I long for it all year.

Misty: I am curious to know how you check in at American baggage claim from AAS if you only have carry-on luggage? Where do you check in then?

My DH says Traveling T should have turned left (just as she thought!) and would have avoided all that mess of checking in all over again. After turning left one goes through a security check, then down a ramp and you're at the boarding area. No going upstairs is involved.

I hope AAS hasn't changed that system in favor of the new American Airlines baggage claim one. Say it ain't so!

Edited: 8:55 am, June 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Great report! Thank you for sharing! Will try to make time to check out Solaire next trip.

That creamy burrata really is amazing and I loved the octopus too!

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Pepper I was referring to traveling with checked luggage. Claim at AAS baggage claim, recheck luggage and checkin at American Air desk on the left, then upstairs to security, bypassing main lobby checkin and baggage check. Carryon transfer from AAS has not changed. No worries.

Edited: 9:53 pm, June 13, 2017
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Okay. So no upstairs for carry-ons, right?

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

Pepper I did carryon in March and it was just the quiet transfer security line. With the checkin desk at AA you bypass the long checkin lines but still go they regular security line. Even with that, from AAS baggage claim to my gate was 20 minutes.

10. Re: Trip report - part 3 (final)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 15, 2018