We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
537 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Hi Everyone!

Woke up several times in the night to hear loud thunder and pouring rain on our sky lights. The weather reports expect sun later and I hope so- the wind is whipping and the rain is pouring, we sat and ate breakfast and watched the lightning. I can hear the rain and wind here from the computer room and it looks like a hurricane is coming. My kids think its exciting so there is that. ;) It also gives me some time to type out our first few days.

We flew in on Saturday on Delta, breezed through the passport control, got our bags, but then experienced a very long line getting out. There is a set up now where your bags must be X-rayed as you leave the baggage claim area (I do not recall this being there last year?). Since there is one machine and only two people working the line was incredibly long. So frustrating to be so close and not quite there! After about a 30 min wait we finally were through and were out. We took a private fun time shuttle as we are a party of 7 and were over in no time at all.

We are staying at the Cuisinart this time, and opted for the 3 bedroom penthouse on the third floor of the main building. We are very happy with this choice, we have a full kitchen, three bedrooms each with their own bath and a very large living room. The price seems very reasonable for this (compared to their three bedroom villas) and it is perfect for our family.

Our first afternoon was spent by the pool and in the ocean and we stayed at the hotel for the lobster BBQ. Some nice live music and I stuffed myself with all you can eat lobster. Early to bed for a big beach day the next day.

Sunday we dropped my parents off at church and went to Crocus bay, which was quiet early in the day and flat as a lake. My kids had a great time swimming and skipping rocks and it was very peaceful. Then back to the hotel for more beach, more pool, and more sand time. During the day we wandered over to Garvey's but it was very packed with no open seats so we opted for just a rum punch and some music before heading back to Cuisinart. While the kids napped my husband and I snuck away to the Dune Preserve and had some ribs and drinks and enjoyed the quiet. Over all I think the island is quieter than I thought it would be with the big Anniversary coming up but I'm not complaining. Cuisinart is peaceful and much more enjoyable than it was a few years ago when we came in Easter and couldn't get a seat anywhere.

We had dinner last night at Picante and 4 year old discovered the virgin guava margarita and thought it was heaven. Food was great, a nice casual dinner out before we head out kid free to Veya and Straw Hat in the coming days.

Hoping to make it to Shoal Bay East today weather permitting, perhaps go souvenir shopping at Sea Spray to pick up some of Pam's delicious rum punch. Looking forward to the boat races and the Anguilla Day celebrations to come!

Edited: 9:15 am, May 29, 2017
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Oh I do so hope the weather settles down and glorious sunshine returns.

I just looked at the webcam on Meads Bay and it does look rather bleak at the moment but there's still plenty of time for it to turn around. Glad you are enjoying Cuisi - we looked at that accommodation a few years ago and thought it lovely and spacious with great views.

Thanks for posting - have lots of fun!

Southwick...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Thanks for checking in.

I have never seen anyone at customs in SXM, let alone x-ray screening. Very odd.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Anne, I am so glad to hear you made it to the island and are enjoying Cuisinart, it sounds lovely.

There was a bomb scare at the airport on Saturday, the airport was shut down for a while, perhaps that was why they were doing extra screening.

Looks as if the weather is clearing, I see people on the Meads webcam, I hope the sun comes out and stays that way for your whole trip.

Thanks for taking the time to post, have a blast, I know you will.

Ellen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Looks much better now!

Parasols up on Mead's Bay and folks in their swimwear - not a muffler in sight.

Roy's webcam at Sandy Ground also looking nice and sunny.

Hope you had a great day.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

iluvdanny: parasol = umbrella; muffler =??? Please & thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

Muffler is a scarf or wrap around the neck and face for warmth.

Should not ever be in the same sentence as Anguilla !

South Jersey
Level Contributor
875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

iluvdanny: Agreed on the muffler! Should never be in the same sentence as Anguilla! Unless....."When I was in Anguilla, the muffler on my rental car was very noisy." 😉

Level Contributor
197 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

As much as it rained Sunday night / Monday morning, the sun came out, leaving a glorious rainbow as we enjoyed the beach at Long Bay on Monday and Mead's on Tuesday. Hope the great weather holds for the boat race Wednesday.

9. Re: Here now- wild weather! Trip report Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 01, 2018