We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

New York
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

So....we are back from a lovely, delightful 7 days back "home." We had been to Anguilla many, many times between 1990-2009 and then hadn't been back for an assortment of reasons. Among them was that we felt the need to explore other places like Turks - where we went last year. Without disparaging anywhere else, I will tell you how I felt on the short trip from St Martin to Anguilla via the outstanding Anguilla Air Services. As much as I hate looking down during the short flight, as soon as we could see the island my husband told me to open my eyes. I did, and started to cry. We truly felt as though we had arrived home after being away for much, much too long. The feeling of landing and seeing our tiny little beautiful airport, breathing the air, smelling the smells and beginning to see familiar faces is indescribable.

We began our romance with Anguilla in the early 90s at the Sonsesta, then when it sadly closed, stayed at Frang, Cuisinart, Malliouhana and Viceroy (maybe CoveCastles in between). Malli was our favorite and if I knew how to attach photo's I would show you a pic of our yellow Labrador rescue. His name is Malli. 'Nuff said :)

We stuck it out with Malli til the bittersweet end and are so delighted that John Vasatka and his team have renovated it with such good taste and kept all of the charm and beauty intact. It is gorgeous. The pools are stunning, the entrance is extraordinary, the room was beautiful and comfortable, the restaurant fabulous. John is a lovely, kind man with a true, genuine love for the island. The staff at Malli are terrific - they are happy and enthusiastic and you can see it comes from the top.

That said, we had pretty crummy weather for most of the trip but it really didn't matter to us. We had 3 sunny days out of 7 and made the most of it. Here are some reflections from an old-timer:

Congratulations to AARF. We did not see one stray dog on this trip. Back in the 90's there were dozens everywhere. Not one this time. Amazing job.

Shoal Bay is the one place that really changed. A lot of buildup there.

Great meals at our faves E's Oven and Mango's (shout-out to Saint Claire our old friend from Sonesta - great to see him!). Liked Blanchard's Beach Shack a lot - made lunch super easy.

But the biggest warm hug and accolades to our all-time favorite place - Straw Hat. We were there at the beginning - when Peter & Anne had their gorgeous spot on the water. And then at the beginning of Straw Hat Part 2 when they moved to Mead's. And here they are now - the best meals and service we have had anywhere in the States, Europe or the Caribbean. And it comes with being able to put your toes in the sand on the most beautiful beach in the world.

Much of their staff has been with them from the beginning. I would fly to Anguilla and stay only 5 minutes to get a hug from Armel. It's that good. And delightful, fun Doris making everything happen while taking the time to chat with all the customers and making sure everyone is happy. And the food. From the bread to the snapper with shiitake mushrooms to the seafood pasta, tuna carpaccio (we ate a lot there :) - everything is 5 stars, A+. Peter and Anne have gone through a lot to create this magnificent restaurant and we are so happy for them.

We were sad to leave but happy that, to paraphrase Dorothy, if we ever go looking for our heart's desire again, we won't look further than Anguilla. We will hopefully be back soon.

Thanks to everyone for all their posts and helpful information here - this is a wonderful forum.

Bonnie and Doug

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

What a most lovely read. Thank you for your reflections! Made me smile and nod my head as I read~~~~~

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,239 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

That was much too long to stay away. Hope you'll become regulars again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

A lovely trip report - shame about the weather but revisiting your favourite place is special even if the sun is not ever present.

Enjoyed reading of places fondly remembered - I can still recall the look of wonder on my 2 daughters' faces (aged 6 and 8 I think) when we went to the old Straw Hat and they realised they would be dining over water.

8 years away is far too long!! Start planning your next trip immediately!!

Thanks for posting

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

So glad you were able to recreate the magic. Yes, Peter and Anne have a wonderful place and it is a testament to them that their staff have been with them so long. We too love visiting with Doris and Armel, they are great fun.

Thanks for posting, you made me smile.

Ellen

Granville MA
Level Contributor
709 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

We were on island 4/22-28. We had sunshine every day. It rained 3x while we were there. Once at 2am, once in the am and then the day we were leaving it poured, then cleared. Would have been great to just enjoy the shower but we had a plane to catch!

Thanks for your report! We also have fallen in love with Anguilla, so much so that hubby wants to forgo our usual few days on St Maarten and just stay on Anguilla. I am reluctant as we have many friends on SXM and favorite lunch/dinner spots.

Shoal Bay has been built up but surprisingly little has changed in the way of more people on the beach or in the restaurants. (We have been visiting since '07) I believe most of the people you find on the beach are from other resorts on the island or are day trippers. We actually were surprised at how slow the restaurants were as was our friend Junior who has the glass bottom boat. Zemi and Manoah have really done little to change the feel of the beach. It is still a lovely spot where I could sit all day, every day and just gaze at the water!

Hope you are already planning your next trip!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,411 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

This was a true love letter if ever I read one.

And yes, anytime you can get a quick smooch from Armel you know your day is made. To say nothing of Doris and Renee as well. Which proves that an important factor in a successful restaurant is the quality of its wait staff. Peter and Anne have done themselves proud.

It is true that the island has undergone a dramatic change but strangely the more things changed the more they remained the same.

Bonnie and Doug: As Auntie Mame would say, "it's so nice to have you back where you belong".

7. Re: Trip report from an old-timer. Away too long!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 06, 2018