We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Never posted before

Left YYZ this morning. -10 Celsius

Scheduled 10.35 departure

30 min late Taking off

Jet Jockey Pilot

Arrived on scheduled time after 2 circles

Decided to do Link Ferry to Blowing Pt

Arrived before Funtime, Caylpso... luck of the draw.

At Anacaona at 18:00

Straw Hat for 7:30

Ceviche fries. Superb

Excellent Snapper for DW and I had the Oxtail Bogolnese.

Sproka & Keira, perfect evening on Meads

Not sure life gets any better

Stay tune for Day 2. Funday Sunday

Blu

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Sounds fabulous, I can envision it all. How is Anacaona?

Thanks for posting.

Ellen

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Nice to read.

A lovely end to a day of travel!!

Looking forward to reading of your activity in the next few days.

I wish you wonderful weather and lots of fun.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
466 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Yay! A trip report on a very cold Weekend here! Thank you for the warm vibes!

Wilton, CT
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Wow! What a way to start!! Straw Hat for their 20th anniversary...must have been amazing! Enjoy your week and keep posting!

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

How is the Anacaona doing???

Good question Ellen

Not much is different on the surface.

Our room is very neat and clean. There have been a number of small cosmetic updates that are positive with rooms and the grounds. Guest have complimentary breakfast included. Has been 2 years since we last stayed. They had a beach hut at the water, 2 years ago, but not now. However, the Bamboo Beer Box, nothing do with the Anacaona, looks very cool. Both pools are operational. No restaurant after 11:00 am. The bar opens again at 5:00 pm. I shed a tear because we spent a lot of hours at the bar and upper pool, and maybe a few glasses of wine, with the fabulous staff, learning a little bit about this tiny "Island"

Hopefully, things carry on in a positive manner.

There may be some other ownership issues going on!!!

Still a wonderful staff, who are working very hard, although reduced in numbers.

Not the Viceroy/ Four Seasons for glamour, but not the prices either.

A little of that Exciting AXA vibe that use to happen at the bar many nights has faded a bit, but

I like to think it could still be a good fit for many visitors.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Thanks, it was always a good little property, Delroy Lake Sr, ran it well and Tweety and her sister were such ambassadors. I know they have been struggling and I am glad to hear your mostly positive comments. I wish them well.

Ellen

CT
Level Contributor
368 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Tweety and her sister are working at the Reef at nights. We went for a drink just to see them -they were always so nice to us. I hated the Reef (looks like Vegas inside).

Midland, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

So many Bands, so little time.

Day 2

5:00 am Anguilla wake up call...you gotta love roosters.

Started the morning with a nice walk on Meads. Nice little craft, Mary A, in for the night. Realizing we could get into too much fun on "Funday", decided to start our day at Bethel Methodist. Not for the faint of heart/ 2 hour service. Good old fashion Gospel preaching, good old fashion Gospel singing. I know, not everyone's cup of tea, but this church can sing. Talented organist and a young man on drums who would barely be 8 years old..

Could have watched him all day. Wonderful people and a Postcard Setting.

Back to Meads Bay for beach time. Pleasant surprise to see a band, new to us, Virus, playing at the Bamboo Beer Box.. Lots of fun. We listened for 1/2 an hour but moved on to Ocean Echo for our planned lunch. Omalie and his band are very talented. It was a happening spot. On to Sandy ground which was hoppin... There was a kids triathlon going on with BBQs. The cruise ship Cub Med 2 was in for the day. Johnno's was packed. Started to get a little Crazy...but isn' that what we signed up for. Sproka,, Keira, Andy and BoBo were in fine form. Abi also got up and sang a few songs.. We left at 5:15 pm and they were still going strong

We went back to the Anacaona for balcony and reading time.

Had dropped in to Jacala earlier in the day to try and score a table at night. No luck, so we made reservations at The Mali. Hoofed it down the beach for 7:30 and had a very nice meal. Another surprise, Daniel Conner on guitar. AXA produces the musical talent. Shamefully, took a cab home and called it a day...make that a Funday.

Paoli, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

You made my morning with all your activities. I love to go to Ocean Echo and also Johannes on Sunday.. Glad that you went to church first. What a neat experience.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sun, Song, Sand, Snapper...7 days in AXA

Your Sunday sounds like ours, but we also squeeze in DaVida, it is a whirlwind day, and we love it all.

Really enjoying your reports, thanks.

Ellen