We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Blissful Day of Nothing..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
A Blissful Day of Nothing..

After our travel ordeals yesterday the plan today was to do NADA and that we did. First lemme tell you, I made sure to leave the drapes open to our balcony as I wanted to see the ocean the moment I opened my eyes, holy moly what a VIEW!!!! I can't, I just can't tell you the exquisite pleasure of staying at RBH and being this close to that insanely gorgeous view! Its worth every hour of overtime we worked and every single penny we saved to make it work! Yowza!!

I unpacked the bags and put the coffee on, just waited for DH to ease out of his slumber, I didn't have the heart to nudge him awake. The sun did its job, streaming in, he rolled over and was in awe, 'wow babe, that's a killer view, we are so close" I nod, "uh huh". We enjoyed some time on the large balcony and then made our way down to The Place for the breakfast included in the rate. More than adequate and very quiet with just 2 other couples finishing up their breakfast chatting away about those things that only mean something when on vacation. This early is so peaceful here, no catamarans yet on the horizon, just a jogger or 2 going by, and the sound of the surf which permeates everything when you stay at RBH, sigh, did I say it was worth every penny we saved to make it here?

Back at our room, the most effort I put into this day is conferring with the grounds keeper about where to place our chairs. I knew the house was full except for one room and was a tad worried, but even full up it feels like you've got the whole beach in this corner of Rendevouz Bay. I settled us in, flopped on my beach chair and "read" this great book called the ocean, yahhhh, chapter after chapter, just couldn't stop turning those pages. Chapter one, midsize cat pulls in midbay, waited to see who would descend,,,no one, ok whatever floats some boats, it works for them! Chapter 2, here comes Zimbabwe galloping down the beach, my rasta neighbor from our stay at West End Bay Apts. followed by a red headed guy in hot pursuit, down to the end they go and back up the beach, hair flying in the wind and a look of pure happiness, yah mon, groovy..I will try to flag him down for a "reasoning" next time he comes by.

Chapter 3, more cats are coming in and is that a drizzle I feel? Is it even worth it to leave this comfy chair? Silly me, I did, a newbie mistake but when you have this incredible balcony to retreat to maybe not so much, right?

Chapter 4, still reading the bay, a large motor boat pulls up pretty much straight ahead. Young frenchies, definitely from St. Martin, laying out on the front of their boat in teeny weeny bikinis, they are gorgeous every single one of them gracefully laid out soaking in the sun. The sun is hot, I finally go in and paddle around, easily get over to the boat and watch as one of the guys goes to do a handstand on his paddle board, eeeeeeeasy does it, almost had it too until his back starts to bend and over he goes, he hit that board on his back pretty hard and lay still for a second too long. I call out, you ok? Yah, sure, just got the wind knocked out of me. Ok, let me know if you need a push back to shore! All was good and I dog-paddled my way down to the very end of the bay, on the way I caught sight of not one, not two, not three, but four big fat starfish. How beautiful it is to have such crystal clear ocean to play in and to be able to see my ocean neighbors without even a snorkle mask? This is exciting stuff to me, this is perfect, this is my Anguilla.

I decide to head back in, that was more exercise then I've done in the last 6 months and it feels GREAT! I got out of the ocean easily, as I looked up there she was, the half moon rising, stood over the salt pond over that patch of palm trees right after RBH. Did I tell you that the ocean was beautifully swimmable? No surf to speak of, it has my name written all over it. Flopped back on the beach chair and discussed with DH the possibility of a perfect sun dropping into the horizon, it certainly looked like it today. Then we looked at each other, in amazement, simultaneously realizing, our room is right behind us! We can see the sunset from the comfort of our balcony and not fret the no-see-ums rising up when the sunset dew settles over the beach. We always watch the sunset from the water, its how we avoid getting bit, we don't have to this trip, we are positively giddy with the realization! We went upstairs, hit the shower and proceeded to witness a perfect full red ball of fire drop into the horizon, iphone photos of colors lighting up the sky that your eye just doesn't see, oh yeah, this sunset was positively off the meat rack!

As the sky started to darken we decide to finally go to Best Buy for some provisions, there's always some things we forget, like baby powder, love, love, love it after a day of sun and a fresh shower. Picked up some crackers and cheese, Pellegrino and Ting back in the car and the big decision of the day, where do you want to have dinner? DH doesn't skip a beat, E's Oven, I have been waiting on that coconut crusted grouper for a year! Off we go, they remember us, and even if they really don't they are sweet to say they do. I tried a new dish for them, lobster bisque with creamed eggplant, served in a perfectly fried wonton shell, or was that a ravioli shell, it was delish and piping hot, followed by creole conch with rice and peasz. This stuff is so up my alley what can I say, I'm one happy gal. Hubby was happy with his octopus salad starter and his grouper entree. We discuss going down to Sandy Ground, I want to find that Conch Shak that eluded Emily on her trip recently. We're pretty excited but as the meal draws to a close and puppy tummy sets in, we decide ehhhhh, another time.

Back in our digs, hubby is despairing over the news that his Giants lost, agreeing with the commentator who'se blaming the quarterback's hanging out on Justin Bieber's boat instead of prepping for the game. At least I think that's what he's mumbling about, I am clueless on American football. I leave DH to his sports and here I am sitting on my balcony. No lights, only light is the half moon over the water and the screen as I type this on my Macbook Air. Not the best trip report, I know, just a blissful day of nothing. Good night Anguilla...sweet dreams.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Sounds like a perfect day. You captured the feeling of RBH. Its a wonderful time machine back to an unspoiled and authentic Caribbean experience. The included breakfast at The Place, far exceeded my expectations. My whole family loved it. The rough drive back down the driveway every night after dinner would leave us laughing when we got to the gaurd who wished you goodnight. I've heard it's been smooth out a bit. I'm almost disappointed.

E's oven, what can I say...I rate your first day a 10! Ha ha. Have fun. You're in the zone now. Island time.

Edited: 11:22 pm, January 08, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Such a fun read! Best wishes for a great week

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Perfect!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Starfish?! You are so lucky!! Our stay at RBH last January was amazing but unfortunately the water was not as calm and clear as it is for you. Still, your descriptions of your balcony view, the uncrowdedness of that part of the beach and that great breakfast at The Place are taking me back. Thank you for a great day one Report.

Paoli, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

I used to stay at RBH before it was hit by the hurricane. You can't beat the view and beach. I am looking out at several inches of snow and your wonderful report helped to warm me up a little. Have a great week.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Your whole lot of nothingness is just what the doctor ordered on this bleak, cold day up north, and your words capture it perfectly. Thank you thank you thank you. Keep on!

Southwick...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

It was -1° here this am.

You descriptions warmed me, at least my mind. We look forward to our first Rendezvous Bay based visit in early May.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

What a difference a day makes, after your Saturday ordeal, this is just what you needed, how wonderful.

I absolutely loved your report and could envision it all, we stayed at RBH for many years, before they closed, I am happy they are open again, it is such a lovely beach.

Thank you for posting.

Ellen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Now THAT'S what I call creative writing. I slurped up every drop like a good Ting and really enjoyed myself.

This is the kind of writing I "cotton" to. More please.

I await....

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Blissful Day of Nothing..

Oh what a lovely day! I could envision every minute of it. I stay in a ground floor room because the stairs are a challenge for me, but years ago enjoyed the upper floor. I spend several hours each morning and evening on my patio. Love your writing, can't wait to hear of more blissful days. Enjoy!