We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

And that's a wrap....

Northeast U.S.
Level Contributor
352 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
And that's a wrap....

...of our January weeklong trip to AXA. Probably one of the best we've ever had. Weather was perfect. Since we had "only" a week (we usually go for 10-12 days) we really packed all of our must do's into those 6 full days. An overview of our last few days since I posted last Monday:

Tuesday: spent the day at Sunshine Shack. Loud, crowded, our lunch order was overlooked. Sighhhhhhh...still had a nice day, the water was warm and the sun was shining. Positive thoughts...

Tuesday night we went to Artisan but hubby was not feeling well so we had to quickly order and leave. I did have a really nice glass of Rose and got the pizza to go. We'll go back in April...note to people who want to go here...you must make a reservation. Owner was saying that so many people misunderstand and think that because it's a "pizza place" that drop-ins are welcome. Not so...he is focusing on quality, not quantity..so if you want to eat here, please do call for a reservation.

Wednesday was a much better day. When I was at SSS, I took a walk down RB, and checked out The Place. Ok, now we're talking my language. Quiet, comfy, no blaring music..only the sound of the palm trees clicking overhead. So we headed here early Wednesday, grabbed a sofa and I started the day with a cup of delish coffee, just sitting on that sofa and watching the sea. When on the horizon came...not one, but two huge catamarans. I did the "please don't come here" chant in my head, and thankfully they kept going right to the SSS. Phew. We had a fabulous day at The Place...we WILL be back.

That night was the long awaited dinner at Dolce Vita. Began the evening with a sunset drink at Mallihouana, and that was just so lovely as always. Got to Dolce right at 7 and as the lovely hostess Sandra was reading the specials...my all-time favorite pro athlete walked in with his family. The one..the only...Dustin Pedroia from the Boston Red Sox. I am a HUGE fan of his, yes, I have the t-shirt with #15, and anyone who knows me, knows that he is "my guy". The waiter told him quietly that two fans were in the house..he looked over at us, we raised our glasses, and he gave us a fist bump in the air as if to say, "YEAH". OMG..I was dying. Then he came over as he was leaving to say hello. I am still on Cloud 9...sorry..I am digressing here..but it was a really big moment for me...we had a quick photo snapped by his dad, and off they went. What a gentleman he was, and his family was so nice and his kids were very well behaved. Well done, Dustin.

Back to the island stuff: Thursday was spent at Trattoria Tramonto, another heavenly day! Wonderful food and setting, gorgeous weather that day. For dinner, we had grabbed two Beouf Borgignon pies from Gerauds, (what flavors!) and had those with a bottle of Rose on our balcony. Early to bed so we could enjoy our final day on the island the next day..

Friday morning, we decided to try Café de Paris for coffee and breakfast. So glad we went. I had a cappuccino that was perfection, along with a yummy pastry, and Peter had a full breakfast. We enjoyed it a lot and will definitely go back.

Then on to Jacala. This was our favorite day of the whole trip. The water had calmed down significantly, so we were able to swim and float, and then brought two of the low sand chairs down to the water. Watched a huge yacht come in. What a sight. Then on to lunch, once again..just..the best. I broke from my traditional risotto and went with the grilled crayfish. Oh so good. Peter had the snapper meuniere special.. Just incredible! A nice bottle of chilled Sancerre to go along with our lunch...we enjoyed every moment. Then back to the beach for more swimming and finally had to drag ourselves away, kissing the water as I was leaving..yes, I do that. "see you in April, I said". Back to the FBI for showers and had an early dinner there, knowing we were probably in for a stressful day on Saturday, with heavy snow predicted for Boston. We were also transporting an AARF cat so that adds a little more to the logistics, but we got up, and went with the leap of faith to head to SXM as planned. The travel gods were smiling on us, because our flight was on time and we left with no problem, arriving in a snowstorm at Logan by 5 pm. Home in Maine by 8:30, grateful for safe travels and another wonderful week in paradise in our memories.

Broomfield, Colorado
Level Contributor
118 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: And that's a wrap....

Where did you stay?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: And that's a wrap....

A wonderful read. Thank you so much for sharing your New Year trip to AXA.

It all sounded fab and how lovely to know you are returning in a few months.

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: And that's a wrap....

Short but sweet. I enjoyed traveling along with you. Any adoption possibilities for cute kitty Lizzie?

Northeast U.S.
Level Contributor
352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: And that's a wrap....

Ferryboat Inn :)

Northeast U.S.
Level Contributor
352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: And that's a wrap....

yes, some interest from a few people. She's a love!

Milton, Canada
Level Contributor
375 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: And that's a wrap....

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: And that's a wrap....

Bless you too for saving yet another sweet furry one. I hope it got there safe and sound.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: And that's a wrap....

Loved reading this on my balcony here, the sound of the surf in the background and really happy to see you had absolutely no problems landing in the snowstorm, which airline? I'm taking notes...if you say American I will eat my hat!

Paoli, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: And that's a wrap....

Wonderful trip report. I want to try Artisian Pizza on our next trip.

Northeast U.S.
Level Contributor
352 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: And that's a wrap....

We flew Jet Blue. Very happy with them..and the price could not have been beat..hence this last minute trip..we couldn't pass it up.