We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First day highs and low

Northeast U.S.
Level Contributor
352 posts
25 reviews
First day highs and low

Busy and fun first full day! First need to back up and say that being here for NYE was a blast. Got in around 4. Settled and showered, then dinner here at the FBI. Marjorie had put together a delish prime rib dinner. To. Die. For. Headed to Garveys for midnight festivities. DJ, beautiful lights on the beach, cute little bar set up. Tourists and some local families all dancing and enjoying. Then the amazing fireworks. Cap Juluca's went in for over twenty minutes. Wow!

Got up yesterday and had the all-important coffee on the porch. Ahhh. We are really here!

Packed up and headed to the Valley to do drive by at the house where we had rescued the dog Buddy last March. The house is abandoned now. It was quite emotional for me. For those that know the story, it was quite an ordeal and was heart wrenching in so many ways but of course, with his happy life in Maine now, it all worked out. But still emotional for me to be there.

Next stop, Le Bon Pain. Made it just in time for their last almond croissant. Thanks, Olivia!

On to SBE. we decided to splurge and get day passes to Manoah. $30 each gets you chair, umbrella, use of the pool and bathrooms and outside shower and changing room. What a treat. The loungers are super comfy and the bathrooms are so nice. We had beach service from a young man who took such great care of us! Not too crowded and just so great to be at SBE. Sunny skies and calm water. Had lunch there which was good. A little nap afterwards, then moved on to Gwen's for the Scratch Band. Tons of fun.

Around 5 we left for Meads Bay to see the sunset. Thought we'd grab some ribs at Bamboo Beer Box. Here is where the 'low' comes in. The place is cute and funky but they were out of ribs. Ordered drinks. The owner talked me into a Bamboozle rum punch. Not for the faint of heart! Oh my gosh, so strong. I took one sip and couldn't drink it. He added some juice. Still too strong. By now, we were really hungry so he suggested BBQ chicken. It came out so dry and flavorless, with just a bit of Cole slaw. So disappointed. We really wanted to like this place. We love beach shack places. Maybe it was the time of day...is he more of a daytime place? We saw a pretty sunset anyway and left and got pizza on the way home.

Did have a celebrity sighting there, though! Cindy Crawford and her husband. Yup, she's gorgeous even with just a beach cover up and no make up.

Today we are heading to Jacala for the day, tonight is up in the air. Any suggestions?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,497 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: First day highs and low

What about Mangos on Barnes Bay if you're into seafood? The view is lovely too.

Waiting for the next installment...

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
311 reviews
2. Re: First day highs and low

Paula, sounds as if you had the perfect day. So happy you were able to make your flight - I heard they had a big snowstorm in the NE. What fun to see Cindy.

What are you looking for for dinner? Mangos is a great suggestion, one of our favorites.

Pumphouse has ribs, fifty cent wing night and Pub Trivia tonight.

Omalie 360 is at Spice at Cap Juluca - great tapas.

Omari Banks is at Veya.

Have a great trip, enjoy every moment, it goes way too fast.

Ellen

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: First day highs and low

Hi Paula- Greeting from the Pacific side - Pescadero, Baja. How wonderful to enjoy the New Year in Anguilla! Garvey's sounded like the perfect spot to dance in the New Year!!! So happy you got to spend NYD on Shoal Bay in all its glory and enjoyed Manoah! I bet seeing Buddy's old home was emotional! Jim and I reflected on 2016 and he told me that the most wonderful and touching moment of his year was you and Peter saving Buddy!

I look forward to more shares of your stay!

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,291 posts
31 reviews
4. Re: First day highs and low

Well you certainly hit the ground running! Hope you have a relaxing day at Jacala today. Manoah sounds nice for a beach day, but I can't say the menu wowed me. I gather since you were already hungry by sunset the portions were not as large as the prices

I enjoyed two lunches at Jacala last year. I also agree with the Mangos suggestion for dinner. One of my faves. Enjoy!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: First day highs and low

Great start to your holiday - I admire your stamina but in your place I would endeavour to do the same.

Can't think of a better place to see in the New Year then SSS - lucky you!

Looking forward to following your trip.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
362 posts
6. Re: First day highs and low

We did the day rental at Menoah. I know it seems expensive to some, but it's actually a really great deal. The pool is gorgeous and the facilities are very nice. The service is attentive and you really can't beat the location.

Our main home is elodias on SBE, but we will do a day at Menoah again for sure. I hope they continue to offer it to non guests.

Great trip report. Enjoy.

7. Re: First day highs and low

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 04, 2018