We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Day 3 - Hitting the road

Day two was exactly as we planned, a total Shoal Bay Beach day with coffee and breakfast on our balcony, bloody Mary's at Hanks then on to Gwen's for a day with the Scratch Band. So, on day three we were ready to hit the road. After our morning coffee we headed to Maundays Bay. A part of the road to Cap Jaluca was covered in sea foam which looked like mounds of snow. We had never seen this before so of course on the way back out took way too many pics. I posted some on the Anguilla for Tourist FB page. Once at Maundays Bay we were so amazed by how calm and clear it was despite the wind elsewhere on the island. We spread out our parasheet and enjoyed a few minutes of sun and water fun. Another family arrived after a bit but the beach was mostly empty. One boat with a few snorkelers was in the water and there may have been folks farther down directly in front of CJ's main section but we pretty much had the place to ourselves. Absolutely gorgeous! After a while we decided to try Cove Bay but partway there we could see it was windy and choppy so headed to Meads Bay instead. We parked at Blanchard's Beach Shack and had a great lunch of Big Bowls with blackened Mahi. So good and so filling! We took a couple of Heinekens and set out for Malliouhana. What an striking view! While it's definitely not our style, I can see why people would choose to stay there with its cliffside setting, infinity pools and elegant ambiance. Dinner overlooking the water must be one of the best dining experiences on the island. It was a treat to see the hotel then go for a swim in the little protected Cove (the water was beautiful but not quite as clear and calm as Maundays). We made it back to SBE in time to enjoy a few beers at Uncle Ernie's and hang out by the new Madeariman's deck. By the way, Madeariman's definitely won't be open until next week now but it is going to be so fantastic. One MAJOR complaint though, in spite of the hard work the Madeariman's staff have done getting the place rebuilt, Raymond has yet to throw out his burnt umbrellas and lounge chairs. What's up with that? Conclusions from our wonderful day three: 1. Maundays is "take your breath away" gorgeous and will be our new go-to spot when seeking out calmer waters. 2. I totally see now why people love to stay on Meads. It definitely has the edge on number of excellent dinner spots and being able to walk to Malli's hidden little beach is a plus. Still, overall to us SBE is prettier and offers a more laid back beach Shack vibe. You can't go wrong with either though and I would be very happy staying at TN or Nathan's Cove. 3. Ray da Mon, pick up your trash!!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Wha a great report. I can hardly wait to experience this all for Myself!!!! And..... Maundys Bay!!!

Thank you!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
7,454 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

About CJ and Maundays Bay beach -- you said it all miluv!

Mystic, CT
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, The Valley
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Sounds like a great day. What a shame that Ray continues to provide an eyesore on beautiful Shoal Bay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Another lovely day - thank you for sharing.

North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Maundays Bay is a stunner. I've only visited it a couple of times before, but it's really a treat.

Couldn't agree with your more about Malli or Ray.

Keep 'em coming!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Ahhhh Maundy's, soooooooooo beautiful. Great day in Anguilla! Have to say though the quietness of the public beach area of Maundy's has everything to do with the season. It can get crowded in that little area during high season.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Yes, Maundays is beautiful - that beach is something else, but as I_RiNyc says, that little beach can get very crowded under those trees, and one day there were TWO noisy cats in the bay, but it cannot be beat for beautiful calm clear water, that is for sure.

We quit Meads because it just got too busy, got tired of going in for lunch and coming out and finding people sitting in our chairs and seeing trash all over the beach each morning from Blanchard's customers.

From what I have heard, Ray has friends in high places, and can do as he pleases.

Sounds as if you are having a great trip, love reading your reports.

Thanks for sharing,

Ellen

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Please remember that the whole of Maundy Beach is public, so that you can use any part of the beach at any time. Every beach in Anguilla is public, not one private beach.

Rutherford NJ
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

Very true.....you can walk down the beach, put a chair or a towel down anywhere and enjoy the day. There may be a restriction up very close to the hotel proper, but the rest Is open territory! When the other beaches are rough, Maundays is calm. Pretty amazing but true!

Edited: 2:05 pm, December 14, 2016
10. Re: Trip Report Day 3 - on the road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 16, 2017