We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Days 1&2

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Days 1&2

Saturday: woke up at 4am. Flight left RDU at 7am. Delayed leaving for de-icing but still landed early in PHL (55 minutes max flight). We had 30 minutes until our plane started boarding. Landed at B2, walked to A2. Went to the bathroom, bought some food to take on the plane and still had 10 minutes until priority boarding started.

Flight was not totally full and was pleasant and non eventful except for one quick bit of turbulence that seemed to come from nowhere. Landed 15 minutes early. Walked right up to the customs agent (no one in line), walked straight out to taxi (11 minutes and $20 + tip to Marigot ferry.) We just missed (it was literally pulling out of the dock) the 3pm ferry so we paid our $5 departure tax, changed into shorts and had a Presidente while we waited for the 3:45. The ride over was the smoothest it's ever been for us. Took 20 minutes. Everyone on our ferry seemed to be local so by the time we finished filling out the paperwork no one was in line. Our customs agent was very friendly , welcomed us back and laughed with us. Quick process then out to our rental car from Ronnie Bryan waiting just where he said. Started out for SBE and were immediately greeted by the goat herds. Ah, there is no other place. Made a stop at Albert Lakes, headed on to Shoal Bay Villas. We unloaded our stuff with the intent of a quick walk on the beach to catch the last bit of sunset then go to Falcon Nest for dinner. The sunset really was non existent due to clouds but still beautiful. The landscape of Shoal Bay East has definitely changed a bit due to beautiful Manoah and rebuilding Madeariman's (fingers crossed for the reopening while we are here.) The biggest surprise (as I already posted) was the expansion of Hanks and the new dinner opening. There is now a very large, beautiful deck with table, umbrellas and even a bar height ledge with stools facing the ocean. We were very happy to see Hank and even happier to be able to stay on SBE for dinner after a long travel day. We met a lovely couple from Canada while there who shared their visit to Grand Case with us. It sounded lovely and we might actually have to add in a couple of nights (never take away from Anguilla) to check it out. As tradition goes, we ended the night on our oceanfront balcony with wine. The peace I woke up too this morning is one of the main reasons we keep coming back. No other places envelopes us so quickly and completely. Today will be a dedicated Shoal Bay East day including our Sunday tradition of Gwen's. (Although swimming may be out as right now the water is churning a bit---- maybe still just too early for calm?) Tomorrow we will venture out to places on the island we have never been and maybe a few we have. It's good to be in back in paradise.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
11,225 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

What a lovely day you had! I can't believe you actually rented a car for the week - much cheaper than cabs, but I know you like to walk, so this will be a new experience.

Have a fun Sunday.

Ellen

montreal
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Very excited to read your trip report!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Very nice first day!!! Can hardly wait to experience SBE for my first time unless than two weeks :). We are staying at Fountain. Very close :)

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Lorio, the couple we met is staying at Fountain and although it was their first day they were very impressed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

A good read - thanks for posting.

I look forward to reading the rest of a trip report from the "other" end of the island.

Have a great time!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Thanks Beachfan. I have been to Anguilla and love it! I am planning a return trip in May and thinking about staying a few nights in Grand Case either before or after Anguilla. Might even get to St. Barts this time but don't know if it is worth it. Are there any details about Grand Case that you can share?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

So nice to read this with my Sunday morning coffee, I feel like I'm on that balcony of yours "reading" the sea in front of me. Thank you for posting!

Paoli, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
351 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Nice to read such a wonderful 1st day report especially since it is so cold in Pa. Have a great week.

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Thanks you! Ahhh I can just picture that view. I love many beaches in Anguilla but Shoal Bay has my heart!

Look forward to more shares!

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
1,137 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Days 1&2

Thanks for such a great start to the day by reading your report... took me right back!