We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

Avenel
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

I am an avid photographer and planning to visit Caribbean for the first time. This is our 5th anniversary and I want to surprise my wife. I would appreciate if someone can suggest which island is the best in terms of scenic views - beaches, birds and nature. I have shortlisted the following:

- US Virgin Islands

- Dominican Republic - Samara

- Anguilla

Not sure if my selection is worth, but if you think I should have something else in my list, please do suggest me. We are planning to go this November and we have a 1 year old. Want to have a relaxing vacation but at the same time want to explore the city and do mild adventure :)

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
1. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

I strongly suggest you add Curacao on your list. The capital, Willemstad, is a UNESCO world heritage , charming and sceneric city/town. Excellent for photoshoooting.

Miami, Florida
7 posts
2. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

US virgin island is perfect for beach and nature photoshoots.

Dominican Republic is nice for history (buildings etc) shoots.

Anguilla also has nice beaches and nature.

Curacao is indeed a good choice also. Willemstad is nice. Although the beaches are not as nice as the above mentioned islands. But it is a nice island.

Arctic Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

Cuba ( Varadero) beach and base then 2 hours away to Havana ( people and buildings) and Trinidad also a UNESCO world heritage town..

Safe travels...jimmy

Canada
Level Contributor
634 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

Hubby and I are real beach people, and have never been to Anguilla (it's definitely on our bucket list), but from what I understand, it is rather flat, and limited in it's flora.

IMHO, St. Lucia which has spectacular jungles and mountains, and in the right season beautiful flowers and fruit growing might make for some interesting shots. The Pitons which are breathtaking, are easily one of the most recognized sights in the Caribbean. I think the variety of photo ops. here would be endless.

Have fun researching!

Anne

Avenel
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
5. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

I am so glad to see so many responses. Feel much confident now. After going through each response and the recommendations, I thought, how about Aruba (5 days) + Curacao (2 days)? I am sure, these two places will give me -

- a feel of real caribbean

- beautiful beaches (aruba)

- baby beach for my baby :D (aruba)

- a wonderful/relaxing time on the beach chair for my wife (aruba)

- a colorful architecture (willemstad - curacao)

- loads of photoops for me in both aruba and curacao.

- and ofcourse some snorkeling and boat rides around the ocean :)

Ok, I came to this plan, because of one major constraint that I didn't mention before that - I wanted a direct flight from EWR (NJ) to any of the caribbean destination. With one year old, we don't want to spend most of our time in air or transit. I added Curacao, as it was just 50 mins away in air :). Defin'tly, I will save Jamaica for our next Caribbean vacation.

Once you guys share your opinion on my selection, I would have more question specific to the cities. So, please give your helpful advice. Thanks again!

Miami, Florida
7 posts
6. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

Curacao + Aruba= Excellent combination!

Avenel
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
7. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

Thanks John!

Now a million dollar question is "which beach"? I would like to know which are the best beaches - sand, shades, palms, sunrise/sets in aruba and also in curacao? Do they have beach side cottages? Are cottages safe for family with infants? More questions soon :)

8. Re: Which Island is Photographer's Delight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 29, 2011