We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

Michigan
1 post
1 review
Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

I'm overwhelmed and don't know where to start. We're in our mid 40's and don't like huge crowds. We'd like some place relaxing with some options for activities, but aren't into wild night life or organized play. We'd probably be traveling in May June next year. We're thinking of going to an all-inclusive, but wouldn't want to stay at a place that is too crowded or huge. Looking for nice beaches. Interested in hikes or historical sites. Not interested in shopping, except maybe local markets.

After readiing a bunch of reviews, some places that seemed intriguing are Jamaica, Antigua, or Aruba. Any ideas where to start?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
213 posts
31 reviews
1. Re: Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

I find myself asking the same question. Where to go? Just looked at some Anguilla posts - it's 2 flights for me. With so many options out there it's hard to justify 2 flights. Mexico isn't 4 hours away...just read that Maroma (? spelling) is a great place in Riviera Maya. You can't beat the convenience of Mexico but I would love to expeience some of the smaller Caribbean islands. I'll check back to your post and see if you pick a destination!

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

Of the places you listed, I'd go with Antigua or Aruba. To me Aruba is a little nicer and the beaches, while fewer, are very nice. Antigua does have more history and cultural things to do. Both have both large all-inclusive resorts and smaller traditional (or AI) resorts. For a first visit to Antigua I'd tens to suggest AI, unless you are a little adventurous. For Aruba I think you would be comfortable either way since there are plenty of good restaurants within easy walking distance of most of the resorts. Aruba does tend to get a bit more crowded though, especially along the popular Palm Beach area.

I haven't been to Anguilla but it does sound nice, if perhaps a bit expensive (both getting there and staying.)

Another suggestion would be Providenciales, Turks and Caicos. Beautiful, long graceful beach where you can walk for hours and see very few other people. Most resorts are relatively small rental-condo type places with a good range of prices. The only two AIs on Provo are a Beaches (very large and family oriented) and Club Med (moderate size, adults only, but very sports/activities oriented).

By the way, this generic Caribbean forum is lightly followed and post get buried quickly so you are not likely to get many responses. You'd be better served by choosing 2 or 3 potential destinations and then posting to their respective forums.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

I've been to the Club Med in Turkoise and while the beach is absolutely amazing, it doesn't sound like the right place for you. It was very sports-oriented and there were a lot of singles looking for a fun time. Great for a younger audience - I had fun :)

I've also been to Barbados which is also quite beautiful and the locals are extremely friendly, but some of the beaches are a bit littered with vendors. But there are some beautiful resorts on the west coast of the island that have private beaches - but they would be more expensive. Also not too many children in Barbados which was nice if you want to relax.

Heading to Antigua in three weeks and staying at Sandals, and hope to have a good time!

Best wishes on your anniversary :-)

4. Re: Which island for 20th Anniversary trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, May 15, 2010