We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

Which Blackwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
283 reviews
Save Topic
Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

Assumed that the food in the pub would be decent given the excellent reputation of the attached restaurant. My fault perhaps, but it is the same owner. Gutted that the food they served up had all the allure of Asda Saver frozen battered fish. OK the pub salad, chips and peas were fine but thats not the hard to achieve!

That it was described as battered 'white fish' was ringing alarm bells, and the two meals for a tenner sign gave me a sinking feeling, but we had sat down and didn't have the heart to walk out.

We were however assured that the food was 'home-made'. The fish was very poor. Not even up to Birds-Eye standards. The menu was tiny and vegetarians had no option but to go hungry. Chips with deep fried white fish, scampi or chicken kiev anyone? Seasonal menu? Hahahaha.

You win some you lose some. I'm really struggling to find a decent place to eat out in the area. Can anyone please make a recommendation?

I will be forever indebted!

thanks

Edited: 1:12 pm, July 29, 2012
6 replies to this topic
Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

I have heard good reports about the Islwyn Inn at Wyllie, can't speak for myself as I haven't been there.

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

Link for The Islwyn Wyllies wales-tourist-information.co.uk/eating/item/…

You could also try The Villagers in Oakdale, once again haven't been there but heard good things about it. http://www.villagers.co.uk/

Blackwood, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

I haven't eaten in the Islywn Inn or Villagers for a few years but they used to do decent food, villagers mid week does an all you can eat buffet and has a good reputation locally.

Bosco Nero has a very good reputation, a number of friends and family have eaten there and have always had good meals, can't vouch myself as I haven't eaten there.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,625 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

Advice duly noted. Many thanks guys! Discovered the Gwaelod Y Garth pub near Castell Coch on our travels. Exceptional pub grub. Sitting outside in their wee beer garden in the sun was the icing on the cake!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
705 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

I have heard the Rock & Fountain is quite expensive for what it is. Try the Islwyn in Wyllie, for Sunday lunch. Its off the beaten track, and needs bit updating, but food is excellent value for money. It gets booked up quickly so book early. wales-tourist-information.co.uk/eating/item/…

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant

There are still no decent eateries in the area. Shame.

Reply to: Rock & Fountain pub at Riverside Restaurant
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Blackwood