We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

90th birthday

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
90th birthday

My mother and I are planning to visit the Caerphilly area in November to visit my grandmother for her 90th birthday. We are thinking we would like to have a small party (approx. 20 people) for her at a local restaurant (anywhere from Caerphilly to Machen). Any suggestions?

6 replies to this topic
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 90th birthday

I am not that familiar with restaurants in the precise area you describe but if it helps there are two just slightly further afield to the west of Caerphilly I can strongly recommend on the basis of consistently satisfying experience - both have a great setting and great food:

http://www.gwaelodinn.co.uk/

http://www.caesarsarms.co.uk/

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 90th birthday

Hi,

Hollybush at Draethen, Nr Machen may be of interest to you:-

thehollybush.com/Hollybush_Draethen/index.php

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 90th birthday

I was going to suggest the Hollybush in Draethen and the Maenllwyd in Rudry, but having seen recent reviews for the Maenllwyd it appears to be having a little local difficulty.

We've had a few successful family gatherings at the Fwrrwm Ishta in Machen. Their vegetarian options are a bit lame, but thats not going to bother most people. They have a pleasant conservatory area which is particularly suited to larger groups. http://www.fwrrwmishta.co.uk/

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 90th birthday

Thank you for your suggestions.

Jim: I think the restaurants you have suggested are a little too far away for us, as we will be taking a taxi (not brave enough to rent a car and drive!)

Pam and Purple: I have been to both of these places before and had excellent food. In fact, I was at the Fwrrwmishta 2 years ago when I visited and enjoyed it. I couldn't remember the name though. An uncle took me to the Hollybush about 5 years ago, but we ate downstairs in the pub not in the restaurant. Have to say the food was delicious anyways!

I have untll the beginning of November to make up my mind and try to make all the arrangements (not easy from Canada). So, please if anyone has any other suggestions they would be very welcome.

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 90th birthday

Recently I've been hearing more and more good things about the Black Cock pub. Although I haven't been there myself yet.

www.blackcock-inn.com/

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 90th birthday

Hi,

Travellers rest, Caerphilly Mountain - may be of interest

vintageinn.co.uk/thetravellersrestcaerphilly…

Been there many times, very popular.

Also, been to Black Cock many times.

Edited: 3:07 pm, September 22, 2011
Reply to: 90th birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Caerphilly County