We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

Which Tanjung Benoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Langkawi, Malaysia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

Today i went to exchange the malaysian currency for indonesian rupiah, there was a money changer located at tanjong benoa,nusa dua, his shop is about few hundred meter away on the lefthand side of the road before the bayu suta dive and water sport centre, this is a boutique with money changer shop. Apparently the rate displays was really attractive, but this guy knows some kind of blackmagic, i was cheated by him although i repeated counting my money when he handed to me, but when i got into my car, i realized it was short by few hundred thousand of rupiah. This money changer in tanjung benoa really suck...

Australia
Level Contributor
349 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

There is a Kuta Central money exchange about a 10-15 min walk from the hotel Novotel Benoa walking towards Nusa Dua,we use this one great rate and on ripoffs.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,753 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

If the rate appears to be higher than what the 'trusted' money changers are offering then this is enough reason to stay away and not use them.

Many people like yourself get onto the forum and post about these money changers. If only you had got onto the forum before your holiday and read about this sort of thing happening.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

It is always a good idea to avoid any money changer than operates in the back of a shop.

The really good rate is there to entice you in, once in the spiders web, the spider works his magic, with either a magic calculator or magic fingers.

If you count the money and NEVER let the money changer touch it again - you should be ok.

As the previous poster said Kuta Central is down near the Conrad and just beside the Grand Mirage there is a very good money changer as well.

This is all part of the general money changer scam and happens all over Bali

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

We find it best when changing money for there to be two people...one counting, one watching. Also think about doing the calculations before you get to the counter so you have more idea of what to expect. One of the oldest tricks in the book unfortuanately!

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

We will be staying at Conrad. You mentioned Kuta Central is near Conrad. How far do you have to walk from the hotel? Do you turn left or right after you exit the hotel at Jalan Pratama? Do you know the business hour? We will arrive at 10 p.m.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

Yes - we experienced this too - if I can find a photo of him I will post it. The solution was to go back with a camera, take many photos of him, show him and demand the money back. We were lucky, I suppose, as he complied.

The changer in question was a man in 30s across road from Novotel, about 300 metres south.

Singapore
Level Contributor
74 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

the money changer right in front of Conrad bali is actually very good and offers competitive rate...

Madison, Alabama
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

Hi Adrian, do you know the name of the money changer in front of Conrad. We will be staying at Conrad and we plan to change some US dollars to Rupiah. Also, do you happen to know the business hours? Thanks.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

There are few money changers around the Conrad - choose the ones with the frosted glass - and do not let them touch the money after they have counted it. Also do a calcuation on your phone or a calculator to make sure you are getting the same rate that is on the wall.

They are all open from 10 till 10 at least

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money changer at tanjung benoa,nusa dua...the con man..

We got ripped off by a long haired guy in his late twentys early thirties across the road from the aston. Although we have used various money changers alot over the years , he still managed to trick my partner with his quick hands and calculator. Now we always use the bigger places that look more like small banks. always take a calculator with you and ask first if they charge 'commission'. recount the money yourself

Edited: 9:35 pm, June 24, 2013