We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maleria

Which Tanjung Benoa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
maleria

can anyone tell me if we need maleria tablets for Bali just in process having rabies jabs as doctor said we needed them now been told we need maleria tablets

Whyalla, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maleria

Hi Polly... I think this is a matter of choice really, but I have been going to bali for over 15 years and have never taken the malaria tablets. Bali does not really have a problem with this, unless you are going to be staying in remote village area I wouldn't bother. Also remember if you take the malaria tablets, you can't drink alcohol... you will get quite ill.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maleria

We also have never taken malaria tablets for travel anywhere as, not only can they have some rather nasty side effects, they also won't protect you from dengue fever.

I always toss a can of repellant with Deet into the suitcase wherever we go, but more than half the time we forget to use it. Pure luck, I think, because there are mozzies in Bali but perhaps they don't like the taste of our tough old Aussie flesh.

Many years ago the colonials used to drink gin to ward off all these sorts of bug biting ailments. That's alright, I suppose if you like gin, but I think I'd rather drink petrol, so the repellant is probably the best way.

Edited: 2:43 am, July 30, 2011
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maleria

Same as the Kat, I sought medical advice when we first went to Bali all those years ago, and anti-malarials weren't recommended so have never bothered. Similarly, we just use Jungle Formula Tropical (50% DEET), burn mossie coils if sitting outside, spray the room with bug spray etc. Dengue Fever is more of a problem.

bristol
Level Contributor
400 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maleria

not required for bali but needed for lombok & gili islands

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maleria

What, no gin for you Noodles? I have it on very good yet ancient authority, that it works a treat.

Edited: 7:16 am, July 30, 2011
Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,169 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maleria

You're probably referring to the quinine in Indian Tonic water, which was the first effective treatment for malaria from the 17th century until the 1940s. It was used by the British Empire as a prophylactic in tropical areas and mixed with gin to make it more palatable. In modern tonic water, the amount of quinine has been reduced, but it still has benefits such as relief for cramps. It's also fluorescent under UV light.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,576 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maleria

I admit to having known that, Noodles, but it didn't sound half as interesting as the gin story.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
8,999 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maleria

Since the reduced amount of quinine in the Tonic I have had to drink more G&Ts

9. Re: maleria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 08, 2012