We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

omaha beach tours

Which Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
omaha beach tours

Can a person do your own tour without any guides, how does one go about getting access to omaha beach and the museums

2 replies to this topic
Bayeux, France
Destination Expert
for Bayeux, Basse-Normandie, Mont-Saint-Michel, Caen
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: omaha beach tours

This question has been asked dozens of times and you'll get opposing answers.

I say you need guided tour, private or a minibus. One might say I'm biased as I am a guide, but it's because I'm a guide I know just how vast the subject is and how vast the zone is. I often hear my visitors say "we'd never have found half these places on our own" The whole zone is 75 miles wide so where would you start? Look at testimonials of guides on TA. You wouldn't get the same reactions from people who'd just driven round looking at concrete blocks and sandy beaches.

Some people will reply saying that after doing some background reading you can do it on your own. I've shown many people around who have taught me a thing or two about the war, but they still couldn't have done it on their own.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: omaha beach tours

Well, it is still a public beach, that you can just walk onto, but how you would know what happened where, or when is a different story!

The best books are the Holts battlefield guides...

http://www.guide-books.co.uk/normandy.html

But the real-live tour guides are all enthusiasts of their subject, it seems.......

I have never done a guided battlefield tour, so no personal recommendations, but those who have really seem to have enjoyed them.

Reply to: omaha beach tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer