We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Hi,

We visited NZ a few years ago and loved it so much we are returning. Last trip we didn't get to see the north of the South Island and very much want to see the sights of Queen Charlotte Sound. We will be travelling in the South Island in a motor home.

My question is, would it be best to either fly into Wellington just to enable us to do the Ferry crossing to Picton then hire a motor home from there before embarking on our trip commencing with the Queen Charlotte Drive toward the West coast, or would it be better to fly into Christchurch (we did this on the last trip) and drive to Picton and do a scenic cruise before continuing on our trip.

Thank you for your advise.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Into Wellington and the ferry is best if you want to see the Sounds but are short on time. If you have time, you could go on the mail boat and do part of the track. Since you've already been to Christchurch, it's nice to see something different. Plus the coffee is way better in Wellington.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

I love Queen Charlotte Sound. Actually just returned from there, again! There are really only two ways I would recommend to see Queen Charlotte Sound and that is by a boat such as cougar line or beachcomber or any other boat transport operator. The other way is to walk it. You can drive to some of it, but its a real windy narrow road. The Queen charlotte Drive is fine from Picton to Havelock, but it doesnt get you deep into queen charlotte sound. My recommendation is that you stay a night or two at lochmara, maybe the lodge or titoki. Or punga cover or furneaux lodge in endeavour inlet. Or any other of the numerous accommodation providers. However, if you havent time to stay I would definitely recommend a boat tour to Ships cove. Its a steep short uphill walk and down to resolution bay. Then a few hours to endeavour inlet. If you are able to stay a night be sure to check out the phosphoresence in the water on a dark evening. The other suggestion is that if you do want to drive, mistletoe bay would be my suggestion for a campervan. Or stay in the wonderful whares. But be sure to do a boat tour of the sounds as well.

amazing.

Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for your comments. We will do a boat trip plus drive the coast for a few days before heading west. How long is the drive to Mistletoe Bay from Picton? We planned a few days in this area, possibly more.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Allow an hour. but its very narrow and winding. However, a lovely bay. Do take tourches and go to the jetty at night and flick the water in the dark to see the phosphoresence. It is a great walk from mistletoe to Lochmara Lodge and I recommend that. Have lunch at lochmara, look at the quirky art work and walk back.

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

So how long / far would be the walk from Mistletoe to Lochmara??

Thanks.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

Depends on fitness. 1.5 to 2 hours. An uphill grind, then downhill, and nice walk from the turnoff on Queen

charlotte track to Lochmara. Can also get water taxi ride.

7. Re: Best way to see Queen Charlotte Sound.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 16, 2014