We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking a photo from the highest point

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Taking a photo from the highest point

Just finalizing my itinerary to make sure I don't forget anything or miss anything. I will be there next week and weather.com is saying beautiful weather so I'm very excited.

I just read about the San Juan Islands being #3 of the 10 best Summer Trips. I love the photo of the islands National Geographic published online. My question, is, is there a float plane or other type of tour I can take to get that high up to get a similar shot? any recommendations? or is there somewhere I can drive too?

I can already tell this is not going to be my last trip to the islands......

Mentioned in this post
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

Do you have a link to the photo? We can probably help you figure out where it was taken. The highest point in the islands (you can drive OR hike up) is Mt Constitution on Orcas, in Moran State Park. They say it's the second best marine view in the western hemisphere--it really is stunning. On clear day you can see down to Mt Rainier, and all of the Cascade and Olympic Mountains, as well as Vancouver Island and the BC coast range (plus the islands themselves of course). On San Juan Island itself, there is a nice view from the top of Mt Young but it's not nearly as expansive as Mt Constitution. And yes, you can take scenic plane rides--on Orcas you can even take a scenic biplane flight.

This is the Mt Constitution view:

thesanjuans.com/orcas-island-places/orcas-pa…

Mentioned in this post
Orcas Island
Orcas Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Moran State Park
Moran State Park
494 Reviews
Orcas Island, WA
Vancouver Island
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
San Juan Island
San Juan Island
San Juan Islands, WA
Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

Thanks for your reply. I'm soooo excited about this trip. My apologies for not including the link..... …nationalgeographic.com/travel/best-trips-su…

It's from the Visit San Juan Islands website that voyaging has posted a few times and has been very helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,010 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

Looks like an aerial photo to me.

There is something to be said for topping Mt. Constitution during the day but also at dusk or dawn (assuming fairly clear weather).

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,253 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

That's definitely an aerial shot, taken looking NW with Lopez Island in the foreground. See the ferry on the right? It's just off the Lopez ferry dock, and that's Shoal Bay and Humphrey Head in the immediate foreground.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

Looks like I'm going to have to find a small airplane to take me up..... I'll be in Gig Harbor tomorrow and then up north to the islands on Monday! Wahoo! I will post a trip report and of course lots of pictures! Thanks for all of your help!

Mentioned in this post
Gig Harbor
Gig Harbor
Washington
6. Re: Taking a photo from the highest point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 pm, October 09, 2012