We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

Hi all, I plan to travel to SJI next year for about four nights. I am mostly interested in whale watching, shopping, dining, and checking out any art scene. I'll probably try some biking and hiking too. I'm very confused about where to stay and whether I should rent a car - would rather not be bothered - but if it will enhance my experience then so be it. Since whale watching is my number one reason, what is the best month for this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

Here's a website/article (s) that responds to some of your questions...

Lopez is a great bicycling island.

San Juan has the most to see and to do, plus whale watching tours (boat and kayak). Or, possibly, see them from Lime Kiln Point State Park.

Galleries are on the three major islands; see article, below. But, especially on Orcas, you can find crafts folks by going to the Orcas Island website and/or driving the roads; many sell out of their home studios. Ditto, San Juan Island, but there are galleries in Friday Harbor.

You will need a car. Read the ferry schedule (admittedly, not current, but to learn about it, especially from Anacortes to the islands. Note advice about how early to get to ferry terminals, especially for return from SJI to Anacortes.

Hiking, Orcas and San Juan Island.

July or August, sometimes September. I'd shoot for August/September.

You probably know that you can drive the inter-island ferry to the three major islands (4 if you count Shaw, I would not.

Four nights, that's a nice chunk of time for the islands.

San Juan Islands (Information on the several major islands, with key websites.)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g58727-c102104/San-Ju…

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/index.htm

Whale Watching Information

www.orcanetwork.org/sightings/map.html#map

gonorthwest.com/Washington/Activities/whales…

Edited: 10:17 pm, October 26, 2010
Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

june is generally considered to be the best month for whale watching as the 3 pods that are resident in the san juans tend to congregate in the haro strait just west of san juan island.

agree that you need a car to really enjoy the islands. my favorite thing to do is drive the back roads and see what there is to be discovered.

i prefer orcas but always enjoy sji when i'm there. depending on your budget, you might really enjoy staying at the cabin at spring bay. i'd add sea kayaking to your activity list, it's fun and a great way to get out on the water.

allium on orcas is a new restaurant that's been getting a lot of buzz. i haven't been yet but friends who've been have raved. inn at ship bay on orcas is another favorite.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

This is so helpful. thank you!

4. Re: Solo female traveler looking for recommendations...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 26, 2011