We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanksgiving: activities or just rain?

Level Contributor
22 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Thanksgiving: activities or just rain?

Will be visiting family for Thanksgiving dinner on Whidbey Island in November 2010.

We are considering a trip for two nights to the San Juan Islands, possibly Friday Harbor. Not sure where would stay. We will have our 10 lbs dog with us.

My question is what is there to do on the San Juan islands in November and particularly the Friday and Saturday following Thanksgiving? Are there any local events? Are there hikes or nature walks to go on despite the rain? Are there sites to see that will not be impacted by weather? Or should we plan to mainly relax by the fire?

Thanks in advance!

Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanksgiving: activities or just rain?

i've spent the thanksgiving weekend in the san juans, and even though it rained, i got out and hiked anyway--we tend to do that here ;-). with a good goretex jacket and good boots, it's very doable and enjoyable.

if i were you, i would not plan on returning to the mainland on the sunday of the holiday weekend however--the line for the ferries was many hours long. either come back on saturday or wait until monday.

San Juan Island...
Destination Expert
for San Juan Islands
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanksgiving: activities or just rain?

You certainly can't predict that it will rain any day out here. Rain is a possibility any time of year but do recall we are in a rain shadow here and get far less rain than say Seattle. And when it does rain it often is a drizzle and doesn't last all day. The weather can and does change a lot throughout most days any time of the year.Like the last 4 days has been foggy over the water in the mornings but the island was not except right at the coast on the West side. Later it was sunny on the water and then the fog came back late in the day.

And even if it is a light rain just take a walk through the woods like at Jakle's Lagoon area and you won't get more than a bit of rain on you because of the heavy tree cover on that 2 mile or so hike. Here's a map of that trail online:

We hike out here 6-7 days a week year round and it's extremely rare for us to skip a day because of heavy rain all day.

Edited: 12:50 pm, July 21, 2010
3. Re: Thanksgiving: activities or just rain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 18, 2011
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now