We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

Hi there! I am hoping to get some help from the experts here. I am in the beginning stages of planning next summer's family vacation; I want to get a jump on it because I know that I will need to book early to get the cottage of my choice. On that note, does anyone have suggestions for a 3-4 bedroom, waterfront (preferrably ocean, but will consider lake or pond) cottage in the Mid-coast Maine area? I have been focusing on the Lincolnville/Northport/Belfast area since it would be close enough to Acadia National Park for a day trip, also for the proximity to the ferry to Isleboro for a day of bike riding. I would also prefer a place that's near a town but not in town, with walking access to a beach or coastline. Does not need to be fancy!

We are willing to spend up to $2200/week. If there are no specific recommendations, does anyone know what online vacation rental companies/management I might use? I had looked on the Cottage Connection in Maine website, but their rentals seem to be a little further south (and west) of where I want to be.

My family and I used to live in New Hampshire and traveled up to Maine often. But this will be our first trip back in many years (10, to be exact), so we don't mind splurging a bit.

I accidentally posted this first in the general Maine forum. Moderators, feel free to remove or close that one please.

Thanks for the help!

Mentioned in this post
Lincolnville
Lincolnville
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Northport
Northport
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Belfast
Belfast
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Maine
Maine
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
NJ
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

We are renting from baysidecottagerentals.com. We have not gone yet so I don't have a review of the area but it seems like a neat little village. Will report when we get back August 3rd.

Maine
Level Contributor
529 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

You can try mainecoastcottages.com

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

Be sure to check TA's vacation rental partner, FlipKey.com You might also take a look at OnTheWaterInMaine.com -- I think they are based in the area you are looking. As you noted, CottageConnection is based in the Boothbay region. The other big sites for vacation rentals are vrbo.com, homeaway.com, and vacationhomerentals.com

Mentioned in this post
Boothbay
Boothbay
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

Thanks for all the ideas. OnTheWaterinMaine looks promising, but their search engine doesn't work this far out, so I'll have to call one of their agents. I do have a few places earmarked from the other sources, but am open to more suggestions. :)

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
318 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

How about www.vrbo.com

and www.homeaway.com

6. Re: Vacation cottage rental for Summer 2014--suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014