We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

El Segundo
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

My husband and I will be traveling to Maine towards the end of May (arriving in Boston). We are in our mid 30's and love sightseeing, hiking, shopping and eating. I realize the below itinerary may appear a little busy, but I love busy itineraries (I need to see and do everything, whenever possible).

Can anyone offer advice to the below? Is this doable? Am I missing any "must see/do," in the time allotted? Any input/advice would be appreciated.

Day 1 - Arrive Boston, Overnight in Salem

Day 2 - Salem to Kennebunkport, with stops in York (Nubble Lighthouse), Ogunquit (Marginal Way, Perkins Cove)

Day 3 - Kennebunkport to Freeport, with stops in Cape Elizabeth (Two Light State Park, Fort Williams, Portland Head, Cape Elizabeth Light), Portland (Old Port District, Portland Observatory, Casco Bay), Freeport (LL Bean).

Day 4 - Freeport to Rockport, with stops in Rockland (Breakwater Lighthouse), Camden (Camden Hills State Park (drive through), Penobscot Narrows Bridge Observatory, Fort Knox

Day 5 - Rockport to Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park (Visitor Center, Park Loop Road, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs, Jordan Pond House, Cadillac Mtn., Carriage Trails

Day 6 - Acadia National Park

Day 7 - Bar Harbor to (not sure yet - somewhere between Bar Harbor and Boston)

Day 8 - ?? to Boston, Fly home

Boothbay Harbor...
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

On your proposed Day 4 --I suppose it is all relative, but the Penobscot Narrows Bridge and Fort Knox are pretty far beyond Rockport -- you would have to backtrack quite a bit to get back down to Rockport for the night. So you might look for accommodations in the Belfast-Searsport-Bucksport region. And it would put you that much closer to Bar Harbor and Acadia to fit in all you have proposed for Day 5. But I don't want to discourage you from stopping in Rockport -- definitley check out the harbor there, the limekilns, and the activity at Rockport Marine where they do some fantastic restorations of classic yachts.

Of course, the other thing with your proposed itinerary is that you'ld be skipping the peninsulas of the mid-coast and places like Boothbay Harbor and Damariscotta ;-) Maybe you could stop off here on your way back (Day 7)?

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

Except for the back-tracking noted above by "harborfields", I think your itinerary looks very do-able and will give you a good look at much of what the Maine coast from Kittery to Bar Harbor has to offer.

As you head south, I'd base my overnight partly on what time you need to be in Boston the following day. The earlier your flight on Day 6, the further south I'd want to be at the end of Day 7. Unless you consider an overnight at another coastal destination (Boothbay Harbor and Damariscotta or Brunswick might all make good options), you might want to consider going from Ellsworth to Bangor and picking up I-95 South from there.... easier driving than US Rt 1 and sometimes considerably quicker. Maybe a visit to Old Fort Western in Augusta or the Maine Wildlife Park in Gray on your way (both of them can be Googled for more info).

El Segundo
Level Contributor
27 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

Thank you for your comments, I have since re-arranged our itinerary. And will be including a stop in Boothbay Harbor (possibly overnight).

4. Re: May Anniversary Trip - 1st Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 18, 2013