We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston to Acadia in 1 week

Kyle, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Boston to Acadia in 1 week

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are flying into Boston on September 21 (evening) and flying back out of Boston on September 29. We are considering renting a cabin/cottage for the entire week near Bar Harbor, but would like some advice on the best way to spend the week. The only things we "must" do are eat lobster, see Acadia, and spend some time de-compressing. The reasons for the cottage rental were:

1. Rental rates seem to be a little better than hotels.

2. The privacy associated with being in your own place.

3. We do not know anything about the areas enough to plan a better way to do it.

We are wanting to get as much advice as possible on the best things to see, do, and eat. We are also willing to not stay in Bar Harbor, as long as we are within an hour or so of the park for a couple of days.

Budget: No more then $1300 for the week in lodging between all places.

Travel Companion: 1 Couple- 2 people total in party

Likes/Dislikes: Romantic, Eating, Sight Seeing , Not into extreme hiking.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
911 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston to Acadia in 1 week

If you want to decompress Acadia is the place to do it. I would stay on Mount Desert Island. There are many types of rentals (in town, shore front, lake front). You should have plenty of rental options in your price range at the end of September. VRBO has information but when we rent we tend to use a local realtor. We go with LSRobinson but there are many in the area. You can see what is available on their web site and then call them for some fine tuning based on what you want to do. My personal feeling is that once you see how much Acadia has to offer you won't want to be an hour away to visit. There are wonderful places to eat all over the area. Trails and carriage paths range from very, very easy to difficult with lots of options in between. No need to do any type of extreme hiking unless you want to. The end of September is a beautiful time to visit. The weather tends to be wonderful and there aren't a lot of people. It's in between the summer rush and leaf peeping. Check out some of the previous posts here. You'll get ton of ideas on what to do.

Kyle, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston to Acadia in 1 week

Thank you very much for your ideas!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston to Acadia in 1 week

If you are looking for a place to rent on Mount Desert Island, I would recommend a unit at Harbor Ridge Resort, Southwest Harbor, the quiet side of MDI - http://www.harborridge.com/

The units have full kitchens, 2.5 baths and sleeps 6. HR is about 20 minutes from Bar Harbor, and has easy access to Acadia National Park.

SBtS

Kyle, Texas
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston to Acadia in 1 week

Thank you for the recomendations. We went with a house rental in Trenton to stay close to Acadia as suggested.

5. Re: Boston to Acadia in 1 week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 15, 2013