We're taking a family trip the last week in September and I wanted to see if the itinerary below is reasonable - we like to stay somewhat busy, but I want to still allow some flex time so we're not rushing from activity to activity. This is our first visit to this area. Parents are foodies and into sailing, kids (all adults) are into hiking and kayaking. We're staying in a rental home on the Somes Sound in the Hail Quarry area (just north of Acadia Mountain).
Does the below sound reasonable? I'm not sure how large the island is, so will we feel like we're schlepping around too much crossing the island each day? Any recommendations for things we have missed? Also, is the ferry to Cranberry Isles worth it, or would it be better if we tried to do the sea kayak tour out to one of the islands instead, since I know the main draw is the view? Any lunch recommendations for Wednesday and Friday? Once the plan is settled, I plan to call ahead for our restaurant reservations as I understand that is recommended.
Thanks very much for your help!
• Lunch – Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound, Atlantic Brewing Co BBQ, or Mother’s Kitchen
• Settle in at rental home
• Bar Harbor: stop at Hull Cove Visitor Center for park info and to buy pass (open until 5), explore town, early dinner at Mache Bistro, get groceries (open until 9),
• OR: Hull Cove Visitor Center, groceries in Bar Harbor, then return to rental home and go out later for dinner at Red Sky in Southwest Harbor
• Morning: hike Acadia Mountain (all of us may not be up for this)– bring picnic lunch?
• Afternoon - Jordan Pond Shore Trail (not nature trail) and popovers at restaurant
• See Otter Cliff, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole?
• Around sunset: Ship Harbor Trail, see the Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse, then eat at Thurston Lobster Pound and watch fishing boats come in
• Sunrise at Cadillac Mountain (not everyone will be up for this)
• Kayak in the Sound (rental home has kayaks and dock - any suggestions for destinations?)
• Afternoon: Rent bike and bike the carriage trails (any particular recommendations?)
• Dinner: Cook at rental home or Town Hill Bistro
• Fishing excursion or Ferry to Cranberry Island, bike around and have lunch at Isleford Dock Restaurant? (ferry leaves from NE Harbor at 11am, returns 3:30 or 5pm)
• Dinner: Burning Tree, Mache Bistro/Red Sky, or Town Hill Bistro (whichever we haven't gone to yet)
• Half Day Sea Kayak tour?
• Sunset- charter sail out of Southwest Harbor with DownEast Friendship Sloop, bring picnic
Saturday - leave early morning to drive back to Portland