We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf Courses

Oregon
Level Contributor
111 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Golf Courses

Staying in Newport, OR next week and planning on golfing. Looking at Sandpines in Florence and Salishan golf courses. We are intermediate golfers. Anyone have a preference or can recommend a different course? Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf Courses

It's been years since I've played either course, but all else being equal, I'd choose Salishan. Sandpines is nice, but as I recall, winds pick up mid-late morning, so get an early tee time if you play there.

If you're just looking for 9 holes, check out Agate Beach. And if you're up for a drive, head south to Bandon Dunes, even if you don't want to spring for the greens fees. It's a golfer's paradise, with four of the top-rated public courses in the country; fun just being there. There's also a putting course I believe you can still play for free.

Level Contributor
38,807 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf Courses

If you get up to the north coast, Manzanita has a nice course. We played Highlands yesterday in Gearhart. Here in Seaside is a fun course also. :).

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf Courses

When we are in Newport, we prefer the course in Toledo. Salishan probably better but is a bit spendy. I played my first golf at Agate Beach, but never have like it that much. Most holes are rather boring. And we have never played Sandpines, but a bit of a drive and think Salishan is better and a lot closer. I should say I have sort of quit golfing. My wife played Salishan a month or so ago. She had won a prize to play there

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf Courses

Since it sounds like you would like to play two courses and you're staying in Newport, I think you are on the right track with Salishan and Sandpines. The trip from Newport to Sandpines is one of the great stretches of the coast, so save some time on the way, or on the way back, to stop and enjoy places like Heceta Head Lighthouse, the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area (Cook's Chasm and Devil's Churn) and the Seal Rock State Recreation Site.

5. Re: Golf Courses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 25, 2016