We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast in Early March

Fairfield...
6 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast in Early March

My daughter and I are traveling to Portland to visit relatives in early March. We want to see some of the Oregon coast heading south before heading to Willamette Valley to the wine country. Any suggestions on the most scenic areas are in the winter? We are foodies so any restaurant suggestions would be great.

Level Contributor
36,349 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

In Cannon Beach, The Stephanie Inn is amazing. Newman's @ 988 is also one not to miss. If you go to Depoe Bay, Restaurant Beck@ The Whale Cove Inn is another foodie delight. Happy Travels! :).

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

Others know the wine sites better than I do, but I do know Newberg Carlton McMinnville is good wine area. Suggest you visit there first then go to the coast at Lincoln City and south as far as Florence then inland to Eugene.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

How much time do you have for the coast? My impression from other of your posts is that you might be just planning it as a day trip from Portland, ending at The Allison.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

Hi Jean M and welcome to TripAdvisor. Are you thinking of staying a night on the coast, or just a day trip from Portland? I know you have posted in several forums but not sure you have let us know how long you have for the Oregon portion of your trip?

If this is a day trip, you can make a round trip to see Astoria, Cannon Beach and several other communities south along the coast to Tillamook, then back inland via Hwy 6. It would be a long, full day but if it's after DST starts you'll have an extra hour of daylight :-)

If you are planning a night on he coast, you could extend your drive farther south as phirl suggests.

Expect rainy weather!

Fairfield...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

Thanks for all your suggestions. Am planning a night on the coast was thinking of the Overlook Lodge. Looks like we will be in Cannon Beach for breakfast any suggestions for a fun start to our Coast trip?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

>>Overlook Lodge<<

The Overleaf in Yachats?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

I don't know if you could pick a better setting than that of Overleaf Lodge. Might be the best of any Oregon coastal lodging. But you'll need to adjust dining expectations to Yachats. IMO, Ona is best in town. Good, and appropriately fitting of the location, but you may not consider it "fine dining."

Think I'd pick the Lazy Susan or the Wayfarer for breakfast in Cannon Beach. Another popular choice is the Pig 'n Pancake, a step up from from the traditional bacon, eggs, and pancake house.

Edited to add that Wayfarer is the only of the three in Cannon Beach with any kind of view.

Edited: 1:18 pm, January 05, 2014
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

The OP might have meant Ocean Lodge in Cannon Beach.

Regardless, I agree with thrumylens suggestions for places to eat in Cannon Beach. Although i could not be paid to return to Pig n Pancake.

9. Re: Oregon Coast in Early March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 07, 2015