We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

San Francisco
6 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

Hi,

My wife and I, along with our large but friendly dog, are planning on driving to Portland from San Francisco. We will be leaving the day after Christmas (Dec. 26), and need to be in Portland on the 29th (where we will be staying 5 nights in a vacation rental with another couple).

I'm trying to put together an itinerary, that won't be too rushed, but that will let us see some of the coast (and yes I understand the weather will be a factor).

My tentative itinerary is:

Dec. 26 -- SF to Ashland

Dec. 27 -- Ashland to Coos Bay

Dec. 28 -- Coos Bay to Astoria

Dec. 29 -- Astoria to Portland

I mostly based this on wanting to have reasonable drives each day, but still seeing much of the coast.

Are these good stops along the coast? Should we consider someplace like Newport? Or is it maybe better to skip Astoria and cut back over to I5 somewhere further south?

We will need pet-friendly lodging, so I would like to get the itinerary finalized so that I can start making reservations.

Thanks for any advice.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,137 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

Keep an eye on www.tripcheck.com for weather/road conditions. Rain along the coast is a minor matter, compared to the possibility of severe winter conditions north of Redding, over the Siskiyous and mountain passes just north of Grants Pass. Although the map makes I-5 look like the faster route, snow, ice and freezing fog could make it a nightmare...even requiring chains, perhaps. In fact, I-5 over the Siskiyous does get shut down at times during the winter.

My suggestion would be to go up 101 and make your overnight stops in the Eureka/Arcata/Trinidad area; second night in Yachats or Newport; leaving you with a fairly easy drive into Portland on day three (cutting over to I-5 from Newport or Lincoln City).

Ashland is a great little town, but it's not Shakespeare season and it can get bitterly cold in the winter, with snow and ice aplenty. Astoria is pretty far north and might be better saved for another trip. You'll have plenty to see and do through Florence/Newport/Depoe Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Arcata
Arcata
Humboldt County, CA
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Depoe Bay
Depoe Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

Why go to Ashland? That's going inland over possibly snowy Siskiyou Pass, then back out to the coast.

I agree with oregonpoppa's 2nd paragraph - that's a good itinerary.

I'm not sure what type of lodging or price range you're looking for but there are quite a few motels which accept dogs. Our St Bernard used to love staying in motels ;-)

If you opt for Yachats, look at the oceanfront Fireside Inn.

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Level Contributor
37,579 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

See Astoria if you can! The Cannery Pier Hotel is pet-friendly with beautiful views of the Columbia River. :).

Mentioned in this post
Astoria
Astoria
Oregon Coast, OR
Cannery Pier Hotel
Cannery Pier Hotel
1,282 Reviews
Astoria, OR
Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

You will be missing the southern Oregon coast, which is IMHO the most scenic! US-101 is the way to go.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

Thank you all, this is great information. Based on this advice, we will definitely take 101 and cut over from Newport. I'm thinking we will stop in Eureka, Coos Bay and Yachats, before heading to Portland on day 4.

Thanks half-Brit for the Fireside Inn suggestion, that looks perfect.

Mentioned in this post
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Eureka
Eureka
Humboldt County, CA
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Yachats
Yachats
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,637 posts
1,084 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

You're welcome :-) I'll make another suggestion - instead of Coos Bay, stay in Bandon. Coos Bay is inland and combined with North Bend is the busiest section of the entire coast. Although the bayfront area has an interesting open-air museum and is easily walkable, it is not particularly scenic in my experience.

Bandon is a very pleasant small town with a lovely beach! The oceanfront Sunset does allow pets:

http://www.sunsetmotel.com/

Mentioned in this post
Coos Bay
Coos Bay
Oregon Coast, OR
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
North Bend
North Bend
Oregon Coast, OR
San Francisco
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

Thanks, that's another great suggestion. We will definitely look at the Sunset in Bandon for that leg of the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Bandon
Bandon
Oregon Coast, OR
8. Re: Itinerary for SF to Portland in 3 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 27, 2014