We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations.....

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations.....

My husband, dog and myself will be making our way to Cannon Beach for Labor Day weekend. I've never been to the Pacific Coast. We have reservations at the Wayside Inn. What are some fun things to do......with the dog.

He can be on the beach with us right? I understand that the water will be much cooler than what I'm used to. I'm originally from Alabama so I've visited the Gulf of Mexico more than any other beach. Would something like duck boots be good for walking on the cold beach to keep the feet dry and warm? That may be a silly question but I honestly have no clue about the area or the beach.

Restaurant recommendations? Also, what "critters" can we expect to see in the area? Thanks for all your help.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations.....

Yes, the water will be much cooler than the Gulf Coast, but the weather over Labor Day should be nice enough to walk barefooted on the beach. Most likely there will be numerous hardly souls who will be out splashing the the surf.

Dogs on the beach OK. You will probably see lots of them on the holiday weekend.

Do take some time to check out some other beaches nearby. Each one is different and some are much less crowded than Cannon Beach.

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations.....

The Wayfarer, Newman's @ 988, Stephanie Inn, Pizza a Feta and Fishes are great places to eat in Cannon Beach. We also love Castaway's Tini Tiki Hut. www.cannon-beach.net is a great website for this area. :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations.....

You'll see lots of folks "paddling" in the shallows where the water is somewhat warmer. Take off your shoes and enjoy :-)

Be prepared for large crowds on the holiday weekend - second busiest of the year. Book ahead for restaurants.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations.....

Check when the low tides are and be sure and walk down to Haystack Rock. You will see lots of critters in the tide pools. We love watching all the different birds on the beach also.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,861 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations.....

Dogs are VERY welcome in Cannon Beach. You will see a lot of them, both in town and along the beach:)

As mentioned, the water will be much cooler than what you are used to, but I would not bother with the duck boots. Just wear sandals/flip flops that you can take off and that are easy to get the sand out of.

While CB is very dog friendly, you will not be able to take him into restaurants (assuming he is not a service dog). The good news is that weather over labor day is usually pretty nice, and there are a few places with outdoor seating and those places will welcome dogs.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations.....

Thank you all for the comments. Scooter isn't a service dog, although he makes my heart happy every single day. :) We will probably do take out at places that will do that for us. He's a barker (Pembroke Welsh Corgi) so we would not want to bother anyone else who was trying to have dinner or lunch. Looking forward to seeing the area. I love places that are dog friendly.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations.....

I love Corgis :-) Several friends have had them over the years, but DH likes bigger dogs which is why we have a St Bernard, LOL.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations.....

LOL, yes....that's quite a bit bigger. Corgi's are great but definitely herders. He wants to herd everyone up that is near by.

Question.......what do you folks from that area consider to be "comfortable" or "warm?" I'm thinking I may throw a few warmer things into the car just in case. I'm so used to being on a beach in the mid 80's to over 100.

Level Contributor
34,712 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations.....

Bring sweatshirts and light jackets, especially if you will be at the beach in the evening or early morning. We have had nice cool weather here in Seaside. Temps show low 70's here for next week. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations.....

It rarely gets even to the low 80's along the Oregon coast! There are exceptions and when we do get the occasional heat wave, all of us who live here are miserable, LOL.

Usual summer day temps are in the mid to high 60's or maybe low 70's, with breezy conditions in the afternoons. These temps are for oceanfront. If you go inland just a short distance the thermometer moves up. Nights will be in the low 60's, maybe dipping down into the high 50's.

We're getting a little drizzle today but fortunately we got all our hay in the barn before this started :-)