We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
148 reviews
Save Topic
Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

I'll be spending 2 weeks in Oregon and Washington during August. During this trip I will be driving from Crater Lake to the Coast (at Reedsport), then driving up the coast to Lincoln City, where I will spend the night.

I plan on leaving Crater Lake around 7 a.m., and hitting the coast around 10 a.m. I'll want to get to Lincoln City at around 7 p.m., which will give me about 9 hours to drive from Reedsport to Lincoln City, making several stops.

Is there any must see stops along the way? So far I am planning on stopping at Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area (@ the day use area) for a leg stretching hike. I am considering sea lion cave, but I see it gets mixed reviews. I do plan on stopping at Cape Perpetua, and to walk around Newport's Historic Bay - or the Aquarium if the weather is not cooperating.

Is there any must sees I am passing along the way? Should I pass on any of the places I mentioned? Lastly, any lunch recommendations in or near Florence?

Thanks!

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,130 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

I'm not crazy about the sea lion caves -- unless you're a big fan of wildlife doodoo. :-)

The Oregon Coast Aquarium is highly recommended, and you can get a taste of the historic bayfront by having dinner at Saffron Salmon or Local Ocean Seafoods on your Newport stop.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

It's always hard to suggest anything as a "must see", when we all have different interests!

For sure the Dean Creek elk viewing area on Hwy 38.

You might like to drive a few miles south on 101 to see Winchester Bay and/or Umpqua lighthouse. Drive out Salmon Harbour Drive a few miles to get a good view of the huge dunes.

Heceta Head lighthouse.

Cook's Chasm and Devil's Churn.

Yaquina lighthouse.

Devil's Punchbowl at Otter Crest.

You might stop in to the Safeway in Florence and have them make up a sandwich for you, then enjoy it along the way at a viewpoint :-)

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

In addition to the above good suggestions, a stop at any and all of the roadside day use areas between Florence and Yachats is worth it IMO. There are many, and each offers something a little different.

There are also MANY, VERY good lunch/dinner opportunities in Florence, most of which hare on or very near Bay Street in old-town. The Bridegwater, Maple Street Grill, Homegrown Public House, Traveler's Cove, The Beach Comber, Bay Street Grill, Kelly's Cantina and Nature's Corner are just a few and all are VERY good!!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
69 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

Thanks for the responses. Was not aware of the Elk Viewing. I'm definitely gonna stop there.

The Safeway sandwich for a picnic is definitely our speed.

Still on the fence about sea lion cave. We may go to the Aquarium in Newport regardless of the weather.

Sounds like there are countless good spots to stop for awesome coastal viewing . . . Thanks

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

It doesn't cost anything to stop at Sea lion Caves. They only charge if you actually go into the caves. There is generally good viewing from the outside areas as well as the large viewpoint 1/4 mile north.

If sandwiches are more your style, then I have a few suggestion that are MUCH better than Safeway! Nature's Corner, just across the bridge on the left (as you travel north) near the Lighthouse Inn, makes wonderful "to-go" items. They also have a large gluten-free menu.

There are also a couple food trucks along hwy 101 that are outstanding. As you travel north, both will be on the right. The first will be a bright yellow truck between 8th and Nopal Streets, that serves authentic Hawaiian food. Chef Cristian is Maui born and trained and they serve top-notch take-out.

The second is up near 21st (just before McDonalds) and is called "Cruzin Cuisine". They serve HUGE wraps and homemade soups and are also delish.

Edited: 11:07 am, July 25, 2013
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,221 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

The aquarium is a tad on the pricey side, but is considered one of the Top 10 small aquariums in the USA. There are outdoor exhibits as well. Next door to it is the Marine Science Center, open to the public.

You'll also see sea lions on the bayfront in Newport.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

Correction: The Hawaiian Food Truck is between 6th and Nopal, not 8th.

8. Re: Stops during coastal drive from Crater Lake to Lincoln City?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 27, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast