We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

I want to warn anyone considering renting from Ocean Front Luxury Vacation Homes. They have several properties.

I sent an email to inquire about this house and received the following email in response. I will post the chain of emails between me and this unreliable owner. All of these emails were sent on February 28th.

Thank you for your interest in "Seas End", #220181. The dates of April 19-21 are available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

My reply:

This sounds perfect for us. I won't be able to book it until after work today. Will you hold it for me until tonight? Thx!

Her Reply:

Let me know if you would like me to send the rental information packet by email or fax. There is a 2-day hold period. A signed contract can be sent by email, fax or mail. If paying by credit card (Visa, Mastercard, Discover Card), you can reach me at: (503) 314-6936. A receipt and a copy of the signed contract showing the remaining balance will be sent for your records. 30 days before arrival the final balance is due. A statement will be mailed. Upon receipt of final payment, a receipt, map, directions, gate and key code will be sent. There is a key lock box on the front door with a key and two extra keys on counter.

I then immediately called her immediately after receiving the above email to make credit card payment arrangements but she didn't answer. I left a message stating I was calling to make payment arrangements. I then followed up with this email:

I called and left you a message. I want to book this home but will be on my way to Hawaii tomorrow so it will be in the afternoon.

Now for her shocking reply at midnight.

I apologize. There is someone who previously wanted a contract sent to them for the dates of April 19-21 which had been overlooked. These dates are not available at this time. I am sorry for the confusion.

I had already emailed all of my friends who were coming on this trip with me. I had also invited an extra person due to having enough beds for everyone.

The owner didn't offer any other solution. Even 3 days after she said her place was booked, it STILL showed available for our requested dates.

I plan my trips very carefully, narrowing down my choices and then calling to speak to the home owners. Phylis said the home was available. I let her know via email and phone call that I wanted to reserve. I would never consider renting from someone so undependable. Beware of this owner for any of her vacation rentals!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

Very strange! That is exactly the house we rented two years ago for our family gathering and we had no communication problems and had a wonderful vacation there. I am wondering if she thought you were someone different on the second contact and was actually holding the place for you.

The husband and wife owners were really warm and welcoming when we dealt with them. A lot can happen in two years, of course. We got to them through VRBO, but then dealt directly with them. We even arranged to meet them at the house prior to booking to be sure it was the right place for us.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

I agree with Oregonpoppa. It does sound more like it was just a misunderstanding. In my opinion PDXWindJammer should not have gone ahead and notified their friends, inviting them along without having the arrangements confirmed and payment made to guarantee the booking. Found this thread today by PDXWindJammer about Ocean Front Luxury Vacation Home Rentals and as I have stayed at three of their lovely homes in Pacific City, I have nothing but praise for Phyllis and Tom's cordial and professional manner. The houses have always been immaculate, and their care and upkeep for the homes is obvious. The popularity of their homes is unquestionable, as they do book quickly. Sounds like PDXWindJammer just wants to vindictively cause damage to their business reputation, which prompted me to share my review.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

Hmmm... something smells fishy. NW T, this is your one and only post and you just signed up today specifically to post this comment on a thread that has been buried for many months. My guess is you are the owner or a friend of the owner of this place.

I sent her (you?) an email letting her know I wanted to book it, asking if she could hold until that night. As you can see by the response of the owner, she said there was a 2 DAY HOLD PERIOD and she gave specific instructions on how to make payment and let me know when I would need to make final payment AND told me where the lockbox and extra keys were. Sure sounded like a confirmation to me, with a 2 day hold period. I sent an email and called her literally seconds after receiving her email with her phone number and I let her know via email and voicemail that I wanted to book.

Whether or not you think I shouldn't have notified my friends is irrelevant. The owner said it would be held for 2 days and I immediately contacted her to make payment. She messed up, plain and simple, and admitted to her mistake. She should have offered up some alternative option and she didn't. Not someone I want to do business with.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

I agree NW T's response to a long-dormant post looks a bit odd. But I must also add that OregonPoppa's experience is in contrast to yours, and he has a longstanding, highly regarded reputation on this forum.

To me, it sounds like you and the owner just had a huge misunderstanding or miscommunication.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,732 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

OregonJohn--PDXWindjammer has been posting here for many years as well, and with helpful information for people.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

Thank you, Mtngrl!

No misunderstanding. The owner confirmed that the property was available and said she would hold it for 2 days and provided her phone number for me to make payment, I called immediately to make payment and also emailed. Owner even explained how final payment would be made and where the keys were. The owner messed up.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

All I did was describe my experience. I also find the Johnny Come Lately one-off suspicious. If it is a "sponsored" posting it does no one any service. It only casts doubt on my posting and those of the OP.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

Plus it just brings attention back to this thread. I stand by my original post. I would not want this to happen to someone else.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

I have no doubts about windjammer's experience, or poppa's. Both have a long credible history on TA. Sorry if anyone misconstrued my post. Two different experiences by reputable buyers from the same purveyor. As in other areas of life, sometimes sheets happen. :-)

10. Re: Buyer Beware of Pacific City Seas End Property! #220181

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast