We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

My family of five is traveling through Western Oregon in late July. We will have four days to travel north up the coast (I know S. is preferred, but Crator Lake Lodge availability prevented this). My initial plan for traveling from Crescent City back to Portland was to spend two nights in Florence or Yachats and then one night in Cannon Beach. My husband doesn't like the anticipated drive time, and he is suggesting that we cut out the northern coast visit to spend the last night in Portland.

My question is: will we miss seeing a particular geographic variation in the coast north of Newport that we will not experience south of the same? Do the well-traveled argue for making the drive to Cannon Beach?

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

If you turn inland at OR-18 you will have seen best of coast Brookings to Port Orford and Florence to Depoe Bay. 101 is inland for most of drive from Otis to Tillamook. even from Tillamook you are not on great ocean views til north of Manazanita.

Oregon
Level Contributor
854 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

Dear Read....if you need a second Oregon opinion, here it is: I totally agree with phirl. Just north of Lincoln City, take Hwy 18 back to Portland. :)

And while you are doing all that summertime driving, be aware that's when we have lots of road construction in Oregon. Check www.tripcheck.com for road conditions, delays, etc as you travel.

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

I would go for Cannon Beach! It's a beautiful coastal town. We were just there for dinner on Valentine's Day. www.cannon-beach.net. :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

Hi readabouttravel, here is a third opinion (from a long time Oregon coast resident) that also agrees with phirl's ideas :-)

You will have great difficulty finding a hotel for one night in Cannon Beach in mid summer anyway, as most require 2 or even 3 night stays. Poster #3 lives in California and always stays in Seaside, so I'm not sure she realizes that?

Regarding Florence v. Yachats, there is a big difference between the two.

Florence is on a river, slightly inland behind sand dunes with just one oceanfront hotel. It's about 9,000 population, spread out along Highway 101.

Yachats is a tiny village of about 700, compact and scenic with a number of oceanfront lodging options in all price ranges.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,069 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

Rather than spending 2 nights in Florence or Yachats, how about staying the first night in Bandon and the second in Newport? Both towns have more (and better) options for lodging and restaurants for dinner. I also go along with the suggestion to go inland at Lincoln City, taking Hwy 18 to 99W and into Portland. That will also take you through the heart of Oregon's wine country, with several top wineries along or just a brief detour off 99W.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

I agree with OJohn. I missed you were a party of 5. More to do in Newport for kids than Yachats. Marine Science Center is excellent place for inquisitive kids. Aquarium also very good Nice beach. See sea lions up close on bayfront.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

Thanks to all who replied. Your comments and suggestions were most helpful.

8. Re: Trouble Deciding on Coastal Destinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 21, 2014