We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

We have a one night stopover between Eureka, CA and Portland, OR next week. Newport seems to have a few things to see -sealions, maybe lighthouse ( probly not bec we will stop at Haceta Head and wont have time for second litehouse), eateries w a nice view. Others have suggested Yachats. Which place along the coast do you think is a good stopover and any particular suggestions for what might be good to do there? Also any specific hotel or eateries you suggest there?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

Go with Yachats. Heceta Head is still undergoing rehab and won't be open for fouring. Newport is only a half-hour north of Yachats, so you can still spend the second morning touring a lighthouse and seeing some sea lions (maybe even take in the aquarium) before heading up to Portland. If you get to the Yachats area before dark, go up to the visitor center at Cape Perpetua (2 miles south of Yachats). The Overlook at Cape Perpetua (take the road just north of the turn-off to the visitor center) will give you an unforgettable view of the coast. It was built by the CCC back in the 1930s and was used as a lookout for Japanese subs in WWII.

Ohio
Level Contributor
210 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

Hum. I didn't know Heceta Head was closed. That was a definite stop for us.

Makes me feel I should review itinerary. Perhaps you can take a look and offer comments.

Driving up from N Ca to Portland along coast - first portion of coast had no exact stops - just great viewpoints whenever they occur for the portion bet N. CA and Port Orford.

Next portion of drive is inland, I understand, and we had stop at Elk Viewing Pasture near Reedsport.

Next portion of drive is again near the coast and goes between Florence and Lincoln City. Here I had viewpoint just N of Sea Lion Caves where we can just pull over and see sealions in the ocean (hopefully), then Heceta Head Lighthouse (viewpoint, tour litehouse), then Strawberry Hill (harbor seals, tide pools if low tide, maybe whales), then Cape Perpetua (lookout, maybe tide pools), then Yachats, maybe Waldport for Alsea Bay ( harbor seals), and finally Newport (Yaquina Litehouse (sealions along docks, eateries with an ocean view). At Lincoln City, planned to go along Route 18 to Portland.

Somewhere - not sure- just wanted to go put my feet in the sand and walk along the beach - just me, the sand, and the ocean. Am open for beach suggestions too.

So- what do you think of this itinerary? Am I missing anything good? Or are there any more surprises?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

The beaches at Newport are great for walking. Good access in the Nye Beach area (lots of shops and restaurants) and also at Agate Beach on the north end of town (grassy picnic area just steps from the beach).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

Yes, the plastic covering is off but Heceta Head is still closed. It's sporting new bright red paint now though :-)

You'll see lots of mostly empty beaches along your route. One that is very convenient for a quick walk is Ophir on the southern coast north of Gold Beach. There is a rest stop with toilets there and you can walk the 50 level yards or so to the sand. Where you walk may depend on the weather!

Today it is very cool, cloudy and showery with intermittent heavy rain.

For lighthouses, Yaquina Head gives you a lot of "bang for your buck". There are great views (if it's clear) and you can take the stairs to the top. There is also an interpretive center in the old rock quarry. That quarry provided rock for many of the roads in the area before it was shut down.

Depending upon your drive time, Yachats is about 6 hours from Eureka. You may want to stop a few times between Eureka and Crescent City. Do take Newton Drury scenic parkway - did I already mention that to you?

Another choice for an overnight stop would be Bandon, at the Sunset Surf. It depends how quickly you are moving along. It gets dark about 5:30 to 5:45 now.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

Yachats and Newport well beyond halfway Eureka to PDX, consider Bandon.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,740 posts
1,029 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

One important thought, neverstoptraveling -- I know you are saying "next week" but if you are in the Newport area Feb 21-24 be prepared for massive crowds of wall-to-wall people everywhere with virtually all lodging for 20 miles north and south booked up. That's the annual Seafood and Wine Festival.

Weather looks pretty good through most of this next week :-)

7. Re: best one night stop-over between Eureka and Portland;

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast