We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most interesting places?

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Most interesting places?

Hi!

I'll be in the US in June, and part of it will be a road trip from Portland to San Francisco. We have about 5,5 or 6 days to do this in. I would love to travel along the coast, but I know that it takes longer than taking the regular highway.

Do you think it would be feasible to drive this route in this time, also leaving time for us to explore interesting towns or other places, and for example the Redwoods?

Are there any coastal areas that are not so interesting, and where we could take the regular highway to save some time? And is the coastal area varied enough to drive for a couple of days, or is it much of the same and have you seen it all after 2 days?

Thanks for your advise :)

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Most interesting places?

I'm getting a bit nervous now, with the carsickness and the afraid of heights comment above. We've driven in New Zealand as well, on very winding roads in the mountains, and although I didn't really get carsick, I was sometimes a little bit dizzy after too many bends. I'm sure it won't be a problem for my boyfriend though. But, we can take it very easy, driving only 2,5 hours a day, so we can stop often, if necessary. We want to stop often in fact, so my boyfriend can also experience the beautiful scenery :)

Is driving the coast between Leggett and Mendocino somewhat similar to driving for example the Great Ocean Road in Australia?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Most interesting places?

Leggett is inland about 10-15 miles or so. It's where Highway 1 ends. The terrain farther north was so rugged, the state decided to not attempt to build a road along it, although there is the Lost Coast Road that goes around part of it.

Anyway, the few miles between Leggett and the ocean are quite winding with a number of sharp turns. We've driven a motorhome along it and it's a slow, slow stretch -- but everybody else is also driving slowly so that helps.

Highway 1 has many sections that are fairly straight as well as having many that are curvy. Many thousands of people drive it every year without problems, though!

There are some short stretches where Highway 1 is right at the top of a tall cliff with a very low guardrail in-between you and the ocean 500 feet down . . . but then so does Hwy 101 in Oregon. The good new is that the really scary places are of short duration :-)

Roermond, The...
Level Contributor
242 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Most interesting places?

And, I can close my eyes! ;-)

I just hope my boyfriend will be able to enjoy it too while keeping his eyes on the road :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Most interesting places?

I think Cal-1 more scary than 101 in Oregon.

Cambridge
Level Contributor
6 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Most interesting places?

This is very interesting Half Brit:) We are flying into Vancouver from UK on 3 May and then taking the train to Portland, hiring a car and driving to a hotel in Garibaldi. We have then booked into a campsite at Cape Lookout for two nights. We have a vineyard b & b booked for 8/9 May but other than that we will be camping down the coast of Oregon and California (nothing booked), flying out of San Francisco on 25 May. Your many comments have been very helpful, particularly as regards Crescent City - which I hadn't considered before. Other stops are: Cape Perpetua, Bandon, Humbug Mountain, Humboldt Redwoods, Mendocino, Bodega Bay. I am concerned about Bodega Bay as arrival will coincide just before Memorial Day and all postings warn about noise and general madness, do you think we should consider going inland?

Do you think we should book other campsites at the places mentioned? The reason we haven't is so that we can be flexible and if the weather is bad we can go inland. Would really appreciate your thoughts on this, you obviously know this area very well indeed!

36. Re: Most interesting places?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, March 11, 2014