We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Vancouver, B.C.
11 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Hi. I am planning to take a trip from Portland to Oregon coast between Sept1-6 with my husband and my daughter. We would like to stay in Portland for a couple of nights so we don't have all that much time on the coast. Where is a good place to stay on the coast with 5 years old daughter? First we thought of Cannon Beach but their Vacation Rentals seem to have 3-4 nights minimum stay and they are mostly houses that are too big for us. I found some ocean front condos in Lincoln City, but are there a lot to do in Lincoln City to stay for three days? Can anybody give me advice on which city is a good place to stay for 3 nights with 5 yrs old kid? She will be happy mostly playing on beach, but it would be nice if there are some other things to do like going to shops, restaurants or any other kids entertainment for a change.

Level Contributor
35,013 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Seaside where I am is a great place for kids. There is a prom for walking, a small aquairum, a mall with a carousel and lots of shops and candy stores. www.seasideor.com is a nice website for this area. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

That's Labor Day weekend, which generally marks the end of summer, so expect that it will be very busy on the coast. I wouldn't wait much longer before making a reservation.

Lincoln City isn't the most attractive of towns, but it IS on the central coast, where there are lots of things to do and see, for kids and adults. I'm thinking you'd prefer Newport if you can find anything available there.

Besides beach activities, there's not much in Cannon Beach for young children. Several kid-oriented shops, and the usual candy and ice cream shops. It was rated a couple years ago as one of the best beaches in the world, though. So, if you're planning most of her time on the beach, that would be my recommendation. And, it's only 8 miles from Seaside, where the main street is lined with arcades and carnival games and rides. So, if you think your daughter would enjoy those sorts of activities..... But be forewarned; it'll be a zoo that weekend.

I've noticed that you begin many Oregon forum posts with phrases like, "Seaside where I am" syrahgirl. Any reason you don't do that when you're posting from home near Fresno?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

I think Newport is your best bet. The aquarium is fabulous! The historic bay front area is also a very nice place and most people from out of town love to watch the sea lions on the docks.

If you want a quieter beach, head south of the bridge to South Beach.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Yet another vote for Newport. Lots of things to do with kids there. The aquarium, Marine Science Center, and beaches to play on. Go down and explore the historic bayfront. My girls always get a kick out of going down and seeing the sea lions on the docks up close and personal.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Newport has a wide variety of lodging and as others have said, a lot to do that will appeal to children, including the touching exhibits at the Marine Science Center... …oregonstate.edu/visitor/exhibits-and-events

Book ASAP as that is the second-busiest weekend of the year!

Vancouver, B.C.
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

Thank you very much, everybody. I'm leaning towards Newport now. will do some mroe research and decide. Thanks.

7. Re: Oregon Coast where to stay - Need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:44 am, December 08, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Oregon Coast